Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,088   Online: 1161

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite.
    They only state that they produce the base and the layers as well as the silvernitrate. One can deduce from the film that they produce the celloluse ester too. But that is all.
    No hints at the other chemicals.

Furthermore they state that they finish the backing paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At one time, Kodak made virtually everything for all of its products. This included Dyes, HQ, Metol, Silver Nitrate, Cellulose Acetate and etc......

Nowdays, IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

Do you have any notion of how the economics and practicalities of making everything in-house would compare(d) to buying in materials for a company such as Kodak?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Full translation of Kodak film!

Hi all,

I've managed to create a full translation of the Kodak film. Took quite a bit of work, especially since I recorded the timing as well, but it will hopefully be of some help. It's included as an attachment, both in Excel 2003 and plain text format.

Maybe one of the English members of APUG could scrutinize the text a bit and make sure the English technical terms and language is OK. I've done my best, but it's not my mother tongue. If you modify it, send me a PM with the files attached, or post them here in the thread.

In addition, I also contacted the owner of the website where the film is hosted, Frank Bruinsma, who runs a lab for processing 8 millimetre film in all of it's incarnations. He told me the Dutch synchronized version of this film came from a heritage and was on 16 mm film with an optical soundtrack.

He also told me he was willing to share the digitized version with us, if one of the APUG members would like to add subtitles or English language narration. He can deliver it in professional DVCAM, or more common AVI (3GByte) format. His only request was to receive that modified English version back for inclusion on his website.

So, here is the question:

- Are there people who would like to have English subtitles or sound?
    - If so, is there anyone with experience with video-editing that could do it (e.g. JBrunner perhaps?), and that would be willing to spend a bit of time on this.
    - Lastly, could anyone host the English language film than?

Marco
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marco B; 02-07-2009 at 07:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    - Are there people who would like to have English subtitles or sound?
    - If so, is there anyone with experience with video-editing that could do it (e.g. JBrunner perhaps?), and that would be willing to spend a bit of time on this.
    - Lastly, could anyone host the English language film than?
    I'd love to watch it with an English soundtrack, or with subtitles. It's a great piece of historic footage. I can't help with any of the technical stuff however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've managed to create a full translation of the Kodak film. Took quite a bit of work...

Maybe one of the English members of APUG could scrutinize the text a bit and make sure the English technical terms and language is OK. I've done my best, but it's not my mother tongue....
    Thank you, I was just about to post about it... I might be able to do the editing... I will have to see. The current Dutch gives it an interesting flavor, but subtitles would help some non-native English speakers.

Ray
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe one of the English members of APUG could scrutinize the text a bit and make sure the English technical terms and language is OK. I've done my best, but it's not my mother tongue. If you modify it, send me a PM with the files attached, or post them here in the thread.
    Marco,

I am going to review the text right now.
    If someone wants to work on it as well just PM me (we could split up the lines so we don't duplicate the same material) ... otherwise, I will just do it now, and come up for air or clarification if necessary, later.

Ray
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco, thanks very much for the translation of the narration.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Lastly, could anyone host the English language film than?Marco
    I would be more than happy to host the English version on The Light Farm. I hope it ends up being hosted in at least a couple of different places. It's invaluable on a number of levels. Besides being fascinating and fun to watch, it apparently can't be taken as historically accurate. I would want to include any and all information on what can be taken at face value and how much was industrial obfuscation. The historical facts need to be captured while we still have witnesses to the events among us. It's sad to think how much has already been lost.

I'll insert a plug for PE's workshops here. I can teach you how to make an emulsion, but the history (and gossip ) of Kodak that Ron casually embeds in his lectures on emulsion chemistry is a treat not to be missed.

d
    www.thelightfarm.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin