Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,282   Online: 957

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith, I think it would be very interesting to have a symposium that could brainstorm around the links between photographic emulsion science and other branches of nanotechnology. It is a link that the physical chemists I meet are aware of, but not so much the physicists.

The problem - as always - is costs. I can't justify a transatlantic trip for what for me is a peripheral interest, both to my photographic self and my physicist self. Although I could present a review of the topic for interested APUGers, I would feel a bit of a fraud giving a seminar to scientists who had actually done real work in the field. The work I do know intimately and can talk about at a detailed technical level is only peripherally related to the ideas we are discussing here.

But I think it could be a really interesting - and useful - meeting. As I'm sure you know, nanoscience is blurring the distinctions between traditional subjects, especially as many of the proposed applications are in biological fields. I am suddenly collaborating with neurophysiologists and organic chemists who are as ignorant of solid state physics as I am of nerve cells or synthesis pathways. General teach-ins are more use than in traditional physics.

I don't know how widely you want to cast your net. The MRS has had a number of symposia on nanostructure based photovoltaics and ligand-modified nanocrystals in recent years: their lists of previous year's meetings will provide a useful who's-who of those fields. There are also 'God Professors' like Richard Friend in the UK, or Eicke Weber who runs the German Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems. However, my own preference is for small, concentrated meetings, even if that runs the risk of not being all-inclusive or not having the big-name 'prestigious' speakers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah yes, MRS would be an excellent venue; particularly the fall mtg. in Boston. I can check that out. It'll be too late to make it happen this fall, but maybe next year. I am fairly sure that I could find funds for 2-3 speakers here though. Well I will think about it some more as time permits.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin