Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,674   Online: 795

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actually, you can use both flammable and inflammable in English which makes it twice as confusing...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    Second language salad here: in French when something can burn, it's called "inflamable". In English it's "flammable" ...
    It's the same here. "Flammable" is a later word invented by people who worried that inflammable would be misunderstood.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    Most 35mm and 120 films today are now coated on triacetate, except those that are coated on PET (which is even more stable).
    I'm just curious---does that last bit mean that, all other things being equal, negatives on a PET-base film will outlast negatives on a triacetate-base film? Or can the support already be expected to outlast the image under normal circumstances?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I'm just curious---does that last bit mean that, all other things being equal, negatives on a PET-base film will outlast negatives on a triacetate-base film? Or can the support already be expected to outlast the image under normal circumstances?

Thanks

-NT
    No, I suspect 'dimensional stability' is what is being discussed here,
    not "life expectancy".

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speaking of Flammable comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    It's the same here. "Flammable" is a later word invented by people who worried that inflammable would be misunderstood.

When I was still a free thinker, I learned that there was an actual difference in meaning between those words.
    Curious, I visited Mr. Wikipedia to see what he could remember, since he was a free thinker once too.
    There, I found this amusing but quite offensive quote:

" The common word meaning "combustible" is inflammable.
    Unless you are... concerned with the safety of children and illiterates, use inflammable. "

--------------------------------------------------------------

The full quote sounds like it could have been written by Ambrose Bierce:
    The Elements of Style (by Strunk and White) says:

Flammable. An oddity, chiefly useful in saving lives. The common word meaning "combustible" is inflammable. But some people are thrown off by the in- and think inflammable means "not combustible." For this reason, trucks carrying gasoline or explosives are now marked FLAMMABLE. Unless you are operating such a truck and hence are concerned with the safety of children and illiterates, use inflammable.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just use "combustible". And that way, incombustible does mean the opposite.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    No, I suspect 'dimensional stability' is what is being discussed here,
    not "life expectancy".

PET, up to the reports published so far, has both, greater dimensional stability as well as greater long term (archival) stability.

So far there were cases reported of TAC based films that had lesser longevity than NC based films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Inflammable means flammable? What a country!" ~Dr. Nick Riviera

I have had some problems with light piping in 35mm b&w film on a PET base...it did not have a nice remjet backing like Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all,

I just stumbled upon this link, I think you will find it interesting. Also in the light of the "How film is made" thread:

http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/u...akes-image.pdf

For the full reference including the other chapters of this document, go here:

http://www.motion.kodak.com/US/en/mo...ials/index.htm

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marco,
    That's a really excellent summary. Good stumbling! Thanks for passing it along.
    d

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin