Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,513   Online: 788

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will the DVD set be released concurrently with the book?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again, TBD. I am thinking 3 types of release, DVD, Book and Book + DVD. IDK yet. I've shown the DVD to a few people and the book is ready to at least show. So, I hope to get opinions.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know an experienced text book editor who needs some work, if that would be helpful.

Barry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It seems that without a source of the coating blades, potential users of the book and Dvd will be at a great disadvantage to getting the highest quality results. Is it possible that some vendor such as Photographers Formulary might pick up the contracting out of the manufacturing of the blades? At least in sizes up to 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    It seems that without a source of the coating blades, potential users of the book and Dvd will be at a great disadvantage to getting the highest quality results. Is it possible that some vendor such as Photographers Formulary might pick up the contracting out of the manufacturing of the blades? At least in sizes up to 8x10?
    With the huge rush to buy blades and to coat film and paper, I don't know how anyone could keep up production levels to meet sales.

Tongue firmly in cheek!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    My guess is that the existence of a book and/or DVD would spur interest in the blades. If the book includes specifications, could result in some cottage industries catering to that interest. Just a thought.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hand coating emulsions, excellently, on just about any receptive surface is trivial to the point of being incidental to the handcrafted silver gelatin emulsion process. I will be talking about emulsion making and demonstrating coating at APIS (Alternative Processes International Symposium) in Santa Fe at the end of July and again at the 2nd Annual Pacific Northwest Photographers meeting at UW Vancouver, the second weekend in September. In addition, I have a sample book of work at the Photographers Formulary in Montana. If you're there for a workshop this summer, ask to take a look.

Ron, you really should think about self-publishing. I'm sure David Vickers of CiM (Creative Image Maker magazine) would love to share his experiences with Lulu with you. He just published 'Glass Plate Photography' that way. I haven't gotten my copy yet, but I understand it turned out very well. (Full disclosure: I wrote the article on Gelatin Dry Plate and Dry Plate 101, along with a portfolio of dry plate work in 5"x7" and Whole Plate sizes.) As long as your blades are no longer going to be available, perhaps you could leave that part out of your book and DVD. One less thing might help you get published sooner. The synergy that Doug and others have mentioned is worth remembering. Your book and DVD will help sell the 'emulsion chemistry' you and PF are working on - still 'coming soon' on their homepage. Once people start making emulsions because they're not concerned about the coating process, they'll buy your book and/or DVD, and 'round and 'round it goes. (Well, you asked for input!)

Denise
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ron,

As someone who owns one of the blades, but has not taken a course (YET), please leave the "blade" chapters in your book and DVD...

Just my 2 cents,
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John;

There is no problem. It was planned from the start that they will be in the book. The problem prompting this thread was how much there should be, and did I address most of the questions out there?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks PE
    John Bowen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin