Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,173   Online: 959

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    John;

The problem prompting this thread was how much there should be, and did I address most of the questions out there?

PE
    Ron,

Perhaps you could publish a pdf of your book on CD. It certainly keeps your costs to a minimum. You could keep a list of the purchasers of your book and send them an e-mail supplement to handle new/updated information, or sell a revised second edition if it merits the effort.

The important thing is to get something out the door. We will all be at a great loss if something should happen that prevents you from passing your knowledge down to future generations. Sounds like you've got it 99.44% done and the last .56% could take forever to finish. As they say in the movie business "a movie is NEVER finished, just finally abandoned."

Bruce Barlow released his "Finely Focused" pdf CD without illustrations, then later added the illustrations and sent all of the early purchasers an "updated" version free of charge.

I look forward to the release of both the book and DVD.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,

I think John's idea is excellent. It seems to be the way things are being done in today's publishing climate, and it would be a great way to start generating an income stream from all your hard work and investment. I know my ideas on what counts as 'real publishing' have been steadily evolving, and I'm sure that is true for most of us. You could sell a kaboodle of information, one chapter at a time.

And, for anyone who may have forgotten or be new to this forum, here's a sample of Ron's work (posted on the Photographers Formulary webpage, with narration by the most excellent Tony Mournian).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4q0Ryh9pBE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE, do you know about http://www.lulu.com/ ?
    A few friends have written their own books, and the service is perfectly suited to them. I doubt there are a million people out there waiting to buy your book. Lulu looks like it will save you hassle and risk, and you might even make something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have information on several web publishers including POD sites such as booklocker.com. I am working with associate to find the appropriate venue.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ron,

I am sorry to hear that the blade project did not work out. You invested a lot of time and energy and hopefully that will be appreciated by those who purchase your book, and I will be one of the first.

I would suggest that folks might want to consider threaded rods for applying the emulsion. If heated you just run the rod over the paper and it applies the emulsion evenly, dissipating bubbles formed by the cooling gelatin and pushing any surface debris away. I have been using these rod for sizing art papers for the final support for carbon printing and the gelatin layer I put on is probably close to the wet height of your paper emulsions.

Anyone interested in threaded rods should consult with RD Specialties for your needs. http://www.rdspecialties.com/Page.asp?Script=1

I think this may be a more practical alternative for some people than the blades, and especially since the blades won't be available.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I am getting out of it! Too frustrating. I'm just reviewing it for a Q&A in the book along with film coating.

I am also getting out of the business because it is too difficult to find a shop that wants to do this type of work at all, and do it well. I have to use 2 shops, one for the coarse work of cutting and grinding, drilling and tapping, and another for polishing and finishing. Actually both shops resist doing it and it takes forever to get a blade or a group of them made, sometimes over a year.

PE
    Last edited by sanking; 03-27-2009 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sandy - What's the price of the rods you linked to - they don't seem to want to publish pricing. I'm thinking like for something that would give a 5 inch or 8 inch usable area.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are very messy and wasteful of emulsion. They are better than many other methods, quite accurate, but more difficult to control for absolute laydown. You have to build a well to prevent paper swell and other problems such as forming a "V" shaped defect at the head end of the sheet of paper. After seeing Mark use one, I decided that the Kodak method was more productive.

These work best with thick coatings, and those which do not cause severe variations with coating thickness. They also work well when the chemicals you are spreading are not expensive.

Mark Osterman and I have tried them out. Mark has several different types of these rods. Webster is an eastern suburb of Rochester where this company is located.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "I'm sure Denise can fill in the gaps that I've left out..."

It looks like she already beat me to it with the link above!
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 03-27-2009 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello PE,

Can you please tell me which alloy of stainless steel you were using for your coating blades?

Thanks,

Bob M.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin