Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,726   Online: 839

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Removing liquid emulsion from glass?

I am currently trying to work up the courage to print a shot onto glass. I've had a little experience with liquid emulsion coated onto cotton so I'm confident enough to give it a go, however glass is a little more expensive to buy compared to cotton!

I was wondering if you could remove the emulsion from the glass if the print hadn't gone as planned, reapply the emulsion and start again without any problems? If so do I just put the glass in really hot water and wait until the emulsion comes off?
    Rhys

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can strip the emulsion off as you say with hot water. I understand some people us bleach - the high pH of the bleach certainly helps swell the emulsion and that will help take it off too.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've used solutions of citric acid to get it off as well. works just fine. made myself some nice faux-ambrotypes via this method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's hardened then Domestos (UK Sodium Hypchlorite bleach) is the best cleaner if it doesn't come off with hot water. The bleach does rather more than swell the Gelatin it causes it to break down.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin