Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,216   Online: 1006

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    How about now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
    How about now?
    Please see my recent posts for updates.

In May of 2009, my wife broke her leg. She was in a wheelchair for 6 months and a walker for about 3 months. She has just transitioned from 2 canes to 1 cane. In the mean time, I was a total care provider.

In spite of this, I have recently completed a new emulsion, details elsewhere, that moves the final "chapter" of the book forward.

Thanks for your interest. Sorry for the unavoidable delay.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    That's actually an excellent idea. You could sell the book/DVD with samples as your premium product at a premium price and the book/DVD sets without samples (or just photocopied samples) at a more entry level price. It could improve your $ bottom line nicely. You wouldn't have to bind the samples into the book. Just slip them into a pocket inside the cover, as I assume you're planning on doing with the DVD. The samples could be small. One 8x10 print would yield four pieces.

I know I'd spring for the premium set. You only had a few azo-type prints at our workshop three years ago. I'd love to see the progress you've made on a greater diversity of recipes.

Good luck with the editing. Not fun, but certainly part of the process.
    d
    Ditto. Having samples on hand to compare to would be killer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you imagine making all of the prints needed to supply total sales of this book? Even 100 or 200 each of say 10 emulsions, would be too much to handle and what should I do about glass plates? That would be about 2000 samples of prints and negatives!

I usually make about 500 ml of emulsion at a time here. That will make about 80 8x10 sheets or 160 5x7 sheets for contact prints. That takes about 1 week to make and coat and then about another week to print, cut and etc.... You want me to do all of this as well as write the book? This would probably triple the cost of the book to cover the cost of Silver Nitrate, Gelatin, and utilities (heat and water mainly) and delay the book another year.

I could have ONE premium copy with all of the originals in it. That one would be the "museum" piece and I would probably put it at the Formulary! In fact, some of the original prints are at the Formulary, my having taught several Workshops there. Anyone visiting could probably get Bud to show some of them. IDK. It's up to him. I'm sure that he has them filed away.

PE

totally available for anybody to see. The rest of the place and Montana is also nice to see.
    Bud

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Formulary/Bud Wilson View Post
    totally available for anybody to see. The rest of the place and Montana is also nice to see.
    Bud
    Yeah, but, uhm... but... It's so far away...!

I'd love the book, without the samples.
    I expect that what's not in it is not worth knowing about.
    A rough estimate when it could become available? (This year, next year, that sort of thing?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Can you imagine making all of the prints needed to supply total sales of this book? Even 100 or 200 each of say 10 emulsions, would be too much to handle and what should I do about glass plates? That would be about 2000 samples of prints and negatives!

PE
    Free labour! As you show, it would clearly be a miserable task for you to make then all, but you apparently give emulsion making classes. You could include making a few samples for you as part of the price of admission. You could have people paying to make acceptable samples for you and they would be enjoying it too. Every class you'd pick a different emulsion.

Equipment limitations may limit what could be made, but maybe you could work something out. The market for the premium copy wouldn't be that high because of course it would still be much more expensive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graham;

I am not giving Workshops presently. One of the reasons is that I have to finish the book and that requires some research. I can't do too many things at one time or I do none of them well.

As for the book, I am doing the best I can. See post #42 above. This last year has not been a picnic for me and I am more than a year behind schedule. That is unacceptable to me, but unavoidable.

The book is 235 pages long with over 100 photos or illustrations. I have 2 more formulas to add. One is complete but very fast and foggy. I have to fix some problems. Due to its nature, it used a huge quantity of Silver Nitrate. I may omit both of them against the advice of those who suggested that I add them.

Next, I have to re-proof the writing and have some friends proof it as well, and then I have to get copyright ok to use a few illustrations from other photo books (or omit them and just give references). Either way takes time. This will probably require EK to see the book and that is a potential delay there. In one case, it took them several years to read the book of an associate, as these are not high priority items for them.

I had hoped that it would be out there right now, but with about a 1 year delay, you see where that puts me. Again, please read my post above. I'm doing the best I can, believe me. I split my day between the lab and the PC, with days off writing and calculating new formulas or just thinking of how to do things new ways. It took me months to get the vAg measurements working and reliable (a suggested addition to the book) and it took 3 months to get reliable small gauge tubing for the pumps.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the delay.

But, if you wish to volunteer, order a bottle of Formazo from the Formulary and make me 100 4x5 contact prints. Use either Baryta paper or any 100# Hot press paper. Even better, make that 100 8x10 contact prints.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I might add, without revealing too much, that my book may be eclipsed totally by another book that is at about the same stage of development as mine, but is going to be a real blockbuster when it arrives.
    Not one new quality darkroom book but two ? WOW !! Count me in for both !! Where can I subscribe ?
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ron,
    All of your delays are unfortunate, but certainly understandable. But what are the excuses for the "Other Guy" who is supposed to be writing the "Other Book"?
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin