Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,831   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1mm glass

Shooter
    ULarge Format

1mm glass

Where can I get 1mm glass sheets? That is what was used to make Kodak film plates that I recently used. Those plates are thinner than the standard single strength 1/16th inch glass. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Putting the Pep back in Pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by studiocarter View Post
    Where can I get 1mm glass sheets? That is what was used to make Kodak film plates that I recently used. Those plates are thinner than the standard single strength 1/16th inch glass. Thanks.
    It depens on where you are

One expensive option to consider
    if you only want very small pieces
    one option is glass slide mounts for 120 film.... I think I measured mine
    (made in Holland or Belgium?) at 0.9 mm.

otherwise, again for expensve stuff, try a biological supply house....

I get mine locally and they can also supply it without the green tint
    that nearly all affordable glass has.

More expensive than Coca....
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-25-2009 at 12:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by studiocarter View Post
    What size do you need?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're in Europe, at Silverprint we've got 8x10" glass this thickness, comes in packs of 20. We got them from the original Ilford company, they had a large quantity they wanted to dispose of. Very heavy in quantity, so probably not economic to ship to the States.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    If you're in Europe, at Silverprint we've got 8x10" glass this thickness, comes in packs of 20. We got them from the original Ilford company, they had a large quantity they wanted to dispose of. Very heavy in quantity, so probably not economic to ship to the States.
    Hi Martin,

That's nice to know...
    Your store has so many nice things hidden between the shelves and behind the elves!

I looked on your web site but could not find it...
    Could you tell me (here or by PM if that's better) their cost and weight?

I am pleasently surprised that they are 1 mm... I would have thought 8x10's would have been a bit thicker... Do you know anything about how Ilford were using them? What product line did they come from? Or, does anyone listening know what 1 mm glass plate products Ilford produced?

Thanks,

Ray

Germany, Mecklenburg - Western Pommerania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found 1mm acrylic glass on eBay, is this useable for photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Acrylic scratches very easily, and is very staticky (=attracts dust), so I'd not advise it.

You might look at Quartz Scientific, that's where I get some stuff for my lab...

http://quartzscientific.thomasnet.co...cs-and-plates?

I suppose Ace Glass may also have some.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What size do you need?
    8x15 & 12x15 inches. That may be too large for safe handeling of 1mm glass.
    I have a crate of Kodak 8x10 plate film, 12 boxes of 12 sheets each. They are all 1mm thin. I guess some of it could be cut down to smaller sizes. I'm ready now to try single strength at 8x15; it it does not scratch from the slides 1mm would only lighten the load.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just looked at the website of a dealer in technical glass. Floatglass 1mm is a stock item. So it can't be that hard to find. (If you can live with the standard green tint.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I looked on your web site but could not find it...
    Could you tell me (here or by PM if that's better) their cost and weight?.....Do you know anything about how Ilford were using them? What product line did they come from? .....
    Ray
    We haven't put them on the website, it's been mainly counter sales to people prepared to carry them away themselves. They're £30 + VAT per 20 pack, weight is 3.2 kg per pack. We've got about 15 packs left.

We were told they had been ordered by Ilford for safelight filter manufacture, which rings true, as it was about then they dropped the range of safelight filters. I haven't looked at one to check but it's probably 2 glasses with a gel filter sandwiched between.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin