Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,636   Online: 882

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

Some use of i-Propyl Alcohol and t-Butyl Alcohol is made as an antifoamant and that would lend an aromatic odor. Also, some bacteriostats and fungicides have a decidedly aromatic odor, not medicinal as one might think.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you Ron,
    That answere as what of the type I was looking for.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ian;

Some use of i-Propyl Alcohol and t-Butyl Alcohol is made as an antifoamant and that would lend an aromatic odor. Also, some bacteria stats and fungicides have a decidedly aromatic odor, not medicinal as one might think.

PE
    They may also tend to prevent an emulsion freezing at moderate sub zero temperatures, of course depending on how much is present.

My impression of Rockland Colloid's Liquid Light was it had a high level to prevent deterioration while not refrigerated, particularly during transit etc which could be a few days, and often at summer temperatures. Not the kind od conditions ideal for emulsion storage.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

That could be, but then t-Butyl Alcohol is slush at room temperature and a solid in a common refrigerator. The freezing point is depressed by water, but I was rethinking what it might do in an emulsion. The iPA is probably more common for that reason. IDK. Common shipping should not hurt. I have shipped my emulsion in mid July with no problem, and someone has sent me samples of theirs in August. The tests of both seemed normal.

Of course, long periods of heat will destroy emulsions and something is needed to terminate the sulfur and sulfur + gold reactions that they undergo. This will eventually fog them along with the damage that "bugs" do.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Salts also depress water's freezing point.
    Yea! for home hand cranked Ice Cream!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My impression of Rockland Colloid's Liquid Light was it had a high level to prevent deterioration while not refrigerated, particularly during transit etc which could be a few days, and often at summer temperatures. Not the kind of conditions ideal for emulsion storage.
    Ian
    You might be right.
    I did not know it from that period, but that was quite a while back and they did go throuh a formula change/adjustment if I recall correctly.

(Did the stuff you got contain a seperate bottle of AF?)

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    (Did the stuff you got contain a seperate bottle of AF?)

Ray
    It's 32/33 years but no, I think I'd have remembered that..

Actually I tried it and it wasn't that good, compared to what I was already making on a very small trial scale. it was slower, had a higher fog level. The rest sat in a fridge for years before it went for silver recovery.

The problem is we don't know now what they used around 76/77 and what's more important is what we (or rather you) would use now. For the present my emulsion making days are on hold as they have been since 1986

I still have the instruction sheet, I think back in the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

The way things are going, you may be back to making your own emulsions in the near future!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Working on that

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Actually I tried it and it wasn't that good, compared to what I was already making on a very small trial scale. it was slower, had a higher fog level. I still have the instruction sheet, I think back in the UK. Ian
    Ian,

I would like a copy of that instruction sheet next time you go back...
    They had some trouble for a while with fog which is why I asked... I seem to recall that they did sell it at one point with an AF solution....

However, I should point out that they aimed their product at people who would be working in less than good darkroom conditions, frequently artists who did for themselves what you did commercially. The material I tested 10 or 15 years later was essentally a contact speed emulsion, with a very high D-max, good contrast and covering power and passable fog.

Afterwards they offered other, faster emulsions as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin