Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,781   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Uncoated Baryta Paper

Other than Photographer's Formulary, does anyone have a source for Baryta coated paper that does not have any sort of emulsion coated on it? Inkjet papers will not work. I'm playing with Collodion P.O.P. and it requires Baryta paper. I ordered a small amount from Photo. Formulary, but I'm worried that one day it may sell out and be unavailable there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't have a source but I believe there is some sort of information on coating your own paper with baryta, look here: http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart4.htm
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've seen and touched Denise's hand-made baryta-coated papers, and they are really, really good looking.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you conceivably coat onto a fixed out & washed previously emulsion coated paper? At present we're dealing with several people who go this route for producing receiver paper for dye transfer. It might seem wasteful, time consuming & expensive, but it's the most direct route for obtaining a gelatin prepared baryta paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also seen Denise's and I have to say I like the look of hers as opposed to the stuff from the Formulary.

Baryta Paper at Formulary

Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    I've also seen Denise's and I have to say I like the look of hers as opposed to the stuff from the Formulary.
    The "Stuff" from the Formulary happens to be Kentmere Baryta paper, coated only with Baryta and never had any other coatings applied to it.
    We have it in rolls of 35" x 100' and 15"x100'. We actually got it thru Freestyle when they where the exclusive importer for Kentmere. So the
    "Stuff" that the Formulary has is a Machine coated photo base paper. This is not some "Stuff" that we coated.

If you like Denise Ross's paper better that is fine as I know she does fine work, but the only reason we have this paper is to make it available to photographers for various projects, as is most of the other products we sell.

Thanxs
    Bud

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost all Baryta papers in the western world today come from Schoeller in Germany.

They are a hot press paper that has been heated and pressed in huge rolling mills that can produce up to 4 surfaces that I have seen so far. Apparently the paper also comes in several tints. This paper is identical to that used by Kentmere and probably Ilford for their FB papers, and is what is being sold by the Formulary.

I'm sure that if the market exists, the paper can be obtained and the Formulary will probably be the place to get it.

The paper that Denise makes is a softer surface due to the lack of the high pressure which is applied to commercial versions and therefore would have a different texture and surface gloss. The commercial papers that I have seen come in gloss, matte, rough and extra rough.

If you coat your own, you can coat on any paper type, but I suggest that it be at least 100# paper, as I have seen some 90# papers disintegrate during processing or washing.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bud, what is the future availability of this paper since Kentmere was bought out by Ilford? If its going to be unavailable soon, and the process I'm trying works out well, I will probably be buying up a good supply to store for myself. It'd be nice to know if it was going to be unavailable. I would have bought a bunch of Centennial POP before it disappeared, but I wasn't following it close enough to know what was about to happen. Thanks for providing this to those of us who need it!

Photo Engineer, do you know if it is possible to buy this paper in small rolls or cut sheets? If so, where?

Thanks for the info everybody!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would test the Baryta paper with your POP formula. Some POP - Baryta combinations don't work and some work but do not keep well at all.

The paper is not available in small rolls or cut sheets except via the Formulary at this time. Schoeller will not sell this paper except in bulk quantities of many many master rolls per order. Your best bet is to make your own or buy from the Formulary. I know that Bud has a goodly stock of rolls as he stated above. Look for it on their web site.

If you do buy rolls, beware that Baryta paper has a good "set" to it and must be precut and laid (pressed) flat for a few hours before coating due to this curl. A weight on top of 20 - 40 sheets will flatten them all out in a few hours.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JOBOO,

whe have here a 2 members at Apug, industrially coating that paper with emulsion. They would be the best source of such paper in smaller amounts in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin