Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,825   Online: 848

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a system that works very well for me. http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/DryP...latePart4a.htm

I don't have the arm reach to coat the 12x20 inch plates I gave Kirk, but I have had great results as large as 11x14. I'm looking forward to seeing the mammoth plates when Kirk and Don (6'4"!) get them coated. As with all things art, there are enough great ways to accomplish a task everyone can find a method that works best for them. Coating should never be the roadblock to dry plate photography (or paper making).

Ron: Where are you selling your plate blades?

d

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What's that? Selling plate blades? Me! Me!
    Magnets? Cool! Or I should say, variable temperatures

dw, can you make me a big glass coater yet for the 12x15?
    Last edited by studiocarter; 10-12-2009 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: talk to dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never placed the plate blades on sale. I have the demo blades shown at the workshops for film and for plates (two sizes) and that is all.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by studiocarter View Post
    Mike1234, if I thought like you, I'd-a bought or bid on that 12x20 camera that just sold on the bay for $811. It took film.
    I'd love to shoot 12x20 but I can no longer carry the weight/bulk of a system like that. I'm afraid 5x12 is my upper limit these days... and that's really pushing it.

My hat's off to you gents (and ladies if any making glass plates). I would probably mess up every single one I tired to make. Besides, carrying holders full of glass plates... it ain't gonna happen here pard's. I do hope to see plenty of glass plate image posts from you brave lads though!!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've had great success pouring large wet plate collodion plates in 11x14- 12x15- and 12x20. John Coffer was the one who got me started in the process. What John does, and I find works very well, is thin your collodion with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and ether at about 10% of your volume of collodion. What happens with the larger plates is the ether is evaporating quickly and your collodion is starting to set up before you get your plate coated. Once you bring your plate up vertical onto your pour-off bottle rock it vigorously before you bring it back flat. Once your bring it back flat turn it and give the edge of the plate a little tap against the table the opposite way from the pour off corner. This helps eliminate those flow lines you see in some plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not do wet plate collodion, but my understanding from those that do is that the methods of coating, while similar, are not exactly alike. I think that one must adjust to two different, but similar environments. It seems to me to be like stepping through a looking glass from the way I read it.

I would appreciate comments from those who have done both.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Studiocarter: re wells: Yes, indeedy. Let me know when you're ready to coat big.

Mike 1234: I hear you on the weight of glass! It doesn't seem to get any lighter with the passing years. Can't beat it for beauty and economy, though. Fortunately, there's an option. You can coat the same emulsions of a film base with no more difficulty than coating paper. The Photographers Formulary sells a product called Melenex, 7 mil estar film pre-coated with a substrate that holds onto the emulsion. And, handmade 'subbed' film is just around the corner. RE glass plate posts: Here's a few: http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Gallery/gallery.htm and http://thelightfarm.com/Map/DryPlate...PlatePart4.htm.

Denise

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Denise. I'll look into that option.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [QUOTE=studiocarter;875879]Hey, these ideas are great and got me thinking more, along with am coffee...
    Would the wax repell collodian? If so, they, ie wet plates, could be used in metal book form dry plate holders and the front edges wouldn't get messed up.

Hi,
    I think that the ether/alcohol mixture in wet plate would,at least,soften the wax. But if you are willing to do a little trial and error, you could easily take a piece of clean glass and put drops of various varnishes on it. When the drops are dry, just pour on some wet plate colodiun mixture. See how the collodiun interacts with the dried varnish. A water bourn clear coating might work.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    how did george eastman and alfred harman coat their plates ( originally ) ?
    from what i have read, in the beginning they weren't very sophisticated, but it was consistent ...
    did they elaborate tools, or were they just pouring and using glass rods ?
    when i was coating, i free-poured my plates ... and sometimes i used a "sponge-brush"
    (sorry if i am hijacking the thread)
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin