Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest effort

Shooter
    Medium Format

latest effort

Well here are my two latest panes (pains?)

First is a pond behind my house, F16 3 seconds, Kodak 137mm on a Eastman 8x10

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/IMG_9914.jpg

The emulsion was way to thick on the left side of the plate, I developed 14 minutes in d76 (undiluted) and left it in the fix for too long, I think it would have been a lot more dense otherwise. It also seems underexposed to me. You can definately see the effects of the small image cirlce of that 137mm on an 8x10.

The next is my GF on a couch in front of the blinds. F11 with a 54Gn flash about 6 feet from her. Totally underexposed. I left it in the developer for 22 minutes to try and bring out some detail, but to no avail.
    http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/IMG_9904.jpg

The emulsion was PE's SRAD, minus the ammonia, plus .1/.3 gold/sulfur mg per mole of silver. All in all, I'm not too irritated with the results. I metered a 1/10 second exposure with an slr for the pond shot @ ISo 100, F16, so I think I probably landed around ISO 1 or 2. for my emulsion. Next batch I will actually get some ammonia that doesn't turn my silver nitrate into brownish sludge. On one hand, I don't have to adapt my darkroom technique to working with home-made emulsions. On the otherhand, these two frames make the 5th and 6th negatives I've ever developed, so all in all, I'm happy I got something.

I've got 4 more frames to shoot, plus enough emulsion in the fridge for 6 more frames, so hopefuly now that I have a better idea of the speed I have, I can get a little better exposure on the next few tries.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Great results, looking forward to seeing how the next photos turn out. Keep up the excellent work.

Emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks good. My first attempts will never be posted here. They are far worse than you might imagine!

It just takes time and practice. Soon they will be higher in speed and better in uniformity.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's always nice to hear that there are people out there doing these things! You are not alone . Keep going!

We will finally tomorrow morning start making our next one..!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    Next batch I will actually get some ammonia that doesn't turn my silver nitrate into brownish sludge.
    You remembered to add the ammonia until it precipitates the silver as the brown sludge and then add a bit more until the sludge pretty much redissolves, right?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    PS - you got better results than my first try!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I added ammonia until it cleared up, but there was still a precipitate at the bottom, after adding twice the volume to the solution. I was using crappy ammonia, and at a dollar a gram for AgNO3, that was a $14 mistake. Not again. In retrospect it's pretty stupid to use $2 ammonia, when everything else is photo formulary or bostick sulivan. ISO 2 is good enough for a batch of proof - of concept shots and for me to learn to use a view camera, and dark room technique. Next batch will have good AgNO3 and NH4, and I will dilute and calculate my sulfer and gold well ahead of the mix, so I end up with the proper ratio (instead of .1/.3mg per mole, when I wanted 1/3 - dang decimals places)

Oh - and if anyone can critique the development - let me know - I take no offence to any advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use 100 mg/mole of Silver with the SRAD. If you use Gold, then use 1/3 the weight of Gold that you do Sulfur.

Finish time for me is 1 hour at 60 C. I used 11' at 68 F in D76 for development and Kodak hardener fixer with a stop.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the comments and help -

Because I screwed up other parts of the recipe, I figured on using a bare minimum of gold/sulfur (thought I meant to use more than I actually did) just because I didn't know what I was making, and didn't want to fog it.

I over developed everything because It became aparent pretty quickly that I had underexposed everything. It didn't do much, I'd read something about "Push" developing, which I understand is a way to get a little more out of a bad exposure, but I now understand that it's not going to help more than a half or 1 stop.

It's no joke that practice makes all the difference. I can't wait to finish learning from this batch and get to the next one.

So in the future - 33/100 mg gold and sulphur, decent ammonia, - 11 minutes with undiluted D-76. hardening fixer.

I use kodak products exclusively just in case PE owns stock.

Last edited by totalamateur; 10-24-2009 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great to me. Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin