Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,074   Online: 1170

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's awesome, congrats!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulsion View Post
    Congratulations on your excellent results! The photograph looks great.

The excellent book "Alternative Photographic Processes" Second Edition has a section written on the Osterman emulsion making formulae/process. It also has a brief section on a suggested developer to suit. The article says that Dektol has been used effectively for processing the emulsion. It also mentions a D-49 developer.

I highly recommend the book, it has a lot of great information. Perhaps your local library can source a copy?

Emulsion.
    James' book is an excellent resource for all alternative processes, including Mark's dry plate work, but except for a couple of additional illustrations, everything that Mark wrote for the 2nd ed. is on The Light Farm, including additional information that was edited out of the book article in the name of brevity (an affliction of paper publishing thankfully not shared with electronic publishing).

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Book...n/MapTopic.htm

http://thelightfarm.com/Map/DryPlate...PlatePart4.htm

Happy Cooking!
    d

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow!

What else can I say, I'm impressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm having lunch with Mark at George Eastman House on the 20th. I'll make sure that he knows about this. I know it will please him very much. I want to wait and bring it up at the table with our other photo engineers. That way, I can see the smile on his face.

PE

Images
    I definately envy you folks who have the time and space to do this stuff.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    that's excellent! was that an print (if so - what paper) or is it an inverted scanned slide?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I definately envy you folks who have the time and space to do this stuff.
    Well, I can't seem help myself. Here goes: weighing in with advice

'Time' and 'Space' are very subjective quantities. Now and again we really don't have enough of one or the other, but I'd be willing to bet you could make emulsions if you want.

First, space: The smallest and simplest of darkroom spaces will do fine, including temp/convertible areas. I made a living doing custom fine art printing for other photographers out of a hall bathroom for over a year.

Second, time: I'm planning on posting soon a workflow schedule for dry plate photography that will let someone spend 1 to 1-1/2 hours a night on the successive steps of the process, allowing dry plate shooting once a week, i.e. start making your emulsion on Monday night, be ready to shoot by Saturday, process on Sunday, and repeat. What it may lack in convenience or volume is more than made up for in the sheer romance of it (one romantic's opinion!).

d

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried to resist the urge to comment, but I agree - I make my emulsion in a 5x 5 foot walk in closet and work anywhere from 50 - 80 hours a week. If it weren't for a multitude of other hobbies, I think I could make and develop 12 plates a week - but alas, finding stuff I want to shoot is what take the time for me!

I have 0 experience in photgraphy, so I'm sure someone with a little knowledge of the dark room could do the same, easily.

Now if I could only pipe a sink into that closet...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulsion View Post
    PE,

What is the simplest way to increase the speed of this emulsion?

Thanks From,
    Emulsion.
    Dear Emulsion,
    Increase the intensity of your lighting!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I missed that post.

The Osterman emulsion assumes no sulfur or sulfur + gold, or assumes active gelatin.

So, the "fix" is to use sulfur or sulfur + gold or active gelatin.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin