Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,202   Online: 1015

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [QUOTE=dwross;893662]Well, I can't seem help myself. Here goes: weighing in with advice :

Second, time: I'm planning.........

Denise,
    Planning? Whats that? Is that not something that 'goes astray' like mousy men or something like that? I saw a play once.
    Bill
    P.S. If my Emulsions were not going well, I would not be so whimsical.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Denise - I really like your idea of setting out a time plan for emulsion making. being able to see where things can be paused or carried on the next day should help people be able to get into emulsion making. I know my time is very limited, and I do exactly as you mentioned as far as my emulsion making.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a 'My God it Works!' moment this weekend. Vaughn Hutchins gave a carbon printing workshop in Newport, OR, and he was generous enough to let me drop in and test his handmade carbon tissues with a couple of my glass dry plate negatives. It's a match made in heaven. I loved the outcome. Vaughn's carbon prints have a beautiful three-dimensionality (You really have to see his 8x10 contact prints of the California redwoods to believe them.) I'm afraid I can't claim that portraits of stuffed animals can complete with the redwoods, but the classic elements of tack sharpness and bas relief are there. If that weren't enough to justify the process, carbon has a very long tonal range. The white flowers in this plate are the very definition of bullet-proof, yet they printed in without the shadows losing detail. Carbon printing definitely adds another tool to the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PuffCarbonPrint.jpg   PuffCarbonPrint-crop.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

Generally, a home made emulsion has a softer toe and shoulder than a production emulsion. The only production emulsion that comes near to that is Azo. Therefore, your home made emulsions tend to have more detail in the toe and shoulder. This is what Denise decribes and what my students generally observe.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello to All,
    Even before reading Denis's post, I have been planning on taking a Carbon Workshop. I have not decided who's workshop to take, but it will be one that teaches how to make carbon tissue. I have some wild plans. They all involve glass as the final support.
    Carbon tissue is probably the most stable of all photographic processes.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Bill,
    I almost asked if you were still considering carbon-on-glass in my last post It's a natural for you. Glass would be a perfect support for maintaining the relief. I know around 100% more about carbon tonight than I did three days ago. You probably already know what I just found out. It's possible to do color 'carbon' printing, including three-color. Pretty cool.

d

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Denise and all,
    Yes, in adition to glass, I am all about in-camera color seps. The many possabilities for color-carbon have not escaped me. I have even done some experiments in Pt/Pd Tissue. Possible, but VERY pricey.
    Actualy, Jim Browning has suggested that a three-emulsion system could be built with one each sensitive to Blue,Green and Red . Then pigment could be added-Yellow, Magenta , and Cyan, respetively. This would essentialy be a three-color (4-color with black) 4-color carbon tissue process,. But the backing would not be reqired. These coatings could be applied is several diffrent ways.
    I have a Big Mouth (or overactive kekboard fingers). But my hands are full right now with developing my Ortho emulsion.
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format

another image

Thanks for the responses!

The image is a contact print on Oriental FB MG Warmtone, no filter. Great stuff.

Here's another test image, developed in HC110 1:20. Shorter times (4-6 min vs. 12-20 in the D76) but perhaps too contrasty. Still learning to judge the base fog. Also turned off red safelights for most of developing & handling time, which reduced fog somewhat.

The real trick, however, is learning to write in reverse on the back of the emulsion!

Anybody know how to rotate an attached image to vertical?

Miller Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gelatin emulsion 1005.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your scanner software should rotate it for you as one of the options.

Very nice result.

PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin