Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,398   Online: 811

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

My God it Works!

Dear All Gelatinoids,

I've been reading these posts for some months now and have finally managed to make my first glass plate negs, using Osterman's emulsion formula from the Lightfarm website. It's still very slow (3 min exposure f/16, lots of reciprocity failure taking place I'm sure) and a bit foggy, but for the first batch I'm delighted.

Here's my first (and only) image so far.

(see attached image)

I developed this for 20 minutes in D-76 1:1-ish, and am wondering if that is the best developer for the purpose. I don't quite have all the ingredients for mixing my own developers yet.

All your discussions made this a much clearer process and I appreciate all you are doing to bring all this knowledge into the light (dang – now it's exposed...)

Thank You!

J. Miller Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gelatin_silver_emusion_1004.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations. That same formula is posted here somewhere. It includes some of Mark's photos as well. It is a very nice emulsion that we estimate to be about ISO 3 - 6. It may include some comments about increasing speed. I forget the actual post, but if you want more information, let us know here. I think we can get the speed to the 12 - 25 range.

Keep up the good work.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats, nice first image!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that all glass plate negative work should be discussed on the HybridPhoto site because like a digital camera if you don't like the image result you can just bleach off the plate and recoat it.

BTW: Nice work.

Denis K
    Last edited by Denis K; 11-11-2009 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    I believe that all glass plate negative work should be discussed on the HybridPhoto site because like a digital camera if you don't like the image result you can just bleach off the plate and recoat it.

BTY: Nice work.

Denis K
    Just imagine a digital camera pouring hot slurry over your new pants and shiny shoes each time you delete a photo from the camera... :o

Now that would be an effective counter against the digital onslaught!

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    How about pouring hot slurry over a digital camera? My 5x7 plate camera that I use to evaluate emulsions was in much better condition when I bought it. And my 4X5 Press Camera that I took to a Collodiun Workshop has never been the same
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absolutely outstanding! It looks to me like D-76 worked well for you. You could try different dilutions when you have enough plates to play with.

I'm looking forward to seeing all your upcoming successes. Thank you for sharing your results.

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! Contrast seems very good and coating is uniform. It's perfect. Keep on experimenting!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Congratulations on your excellent results! The photograph looks great.

The excellent book "Alternative Photographic Processes" Second Edition has a section written on the Osterman emulsion making formulae/process. It also has a brief section on a suggested developer to suit. The article says that Dektol has been used effectively for processing the emulsion. It also mentions a D-49 developer.

I highly recommend the book, it has a lot of great information. Perhaps your local library can source a copy?

Emulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Miller Adam View Post
    Dear All Gelatinoids,

I've been reading these posts for some months now and have finally managed to make my first glass plate negs, using Osterman's emulsion formula from the Lightfarm website. It's still very slow (3 min exposure f/16, lots of reciprocity failure taking place I'm sure) and a bit foggy, but for the first batch I'm delighted.

Here's my first (and only) image so far.

(see attached image)

I developed this for 20 minutes in D-76 1:1-ish, and am wondering if that is the best developer for the purpose. I don't quite have all the ingredients for mixing my own developers yet.

All your discussions made this a much clearer process and I appreciate all you are doing to bring all this knowledge into the light (dang – now it's exposed...)

Thank You!

J. Miller Adam

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    PE,

Your input is very valuable.

What is the simplest way to increase the speed of this emulsion?

Thanks From,
    Emulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Congratulations. That same formula is posted here somewhere. It includes some of Mark's photos as well. It is a very nice emulsion that we estimate to be about ISO 3 - 6. It may include some comments about increasing speed. I forget the actual post, but if you want more information, let us know here. I think we can get the speed to the 12 - 25 range.

Keep up the good work.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin