Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 934

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Denise,
    Nice work! I wonder if the diacetate + subbing + emulsion together would be flexible enougth to roll strips for medium format or 35mm cameras.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the links, very interesting!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really interesting! I've been thinking if we could do our own acetate celluloid from cotton. Not an easy task, probably, but then it would be 100% home-brew .

I thought that the corona discharge subbing of polyester would be easy but it has proven to be quite tricky. I can't repeat the phenomena described in patents and still have problems with adhesion. PET is just so easily available as a modern plastic, that's why I'd like to use it.

Isn't triacetate more stable? I thought triacetate replaced diacetate for this reason.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Really interesting! I've been thinking if we could do our own acetate celluloid from cotton. Not an easy task, probably, but then it would be 100% home-brew .
    It really wouldn't be 100% home-brewed unless you grow the cotton yourself. (That should be fun in Finland!)

Oh yeah, and don't forget to mine the silver too.
    ;^)
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And cows for gelatin. You could sell the meat and make some profit to keep R&D going!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today has been the kind of day that is the reason we got into art and science. Bill, I got beautiful 120 film. If I could add the exposure numbers on the side, I don't think you could tell it was homemade. I loaded up an old Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 and got seven exposures (2-1/2 x 3-1/2). Someone with longer arms than I have could get the full eight, but I'm satisfied . And, I suppose if someone could figure out sprocket holes, they could shoot 35mm, but that won't be me. I've never been much of a 35mm fan.

I also got a great 8"x10" negative, and there's no reason you couldn't go ULF. Give or take a bit of technique tweaking for specific sizes, coating is coating. KIrk, this will be something Don will want to try out.

hrst, As I understand the history of film, cellulose acetate 'safety film' succeeded cellulose nitrate film (the nasty-fumed, burn up with a big bang stuff). Triacetate succeeded diacetate because it was more durable. Unfortunately, they found out that triacetate disintegrated in hot, humid conditions with the distinctive smell of vinegar. Polyester succeeded triacetate with great success (if you don't count broken film projectors) but I can't sub polyester. After my results today, it's no longer an issue for me. Although diacetate isn't as strong as polyester, it also doesn't scratch easily or pick up static dust. It will be my negative material for a long, long time to come. That's certainly not to say I don't wish you well on your poly subbing efforts. Good luck!

Tomorrow I'll write up a brief blurp on all this for The Light Farm before I go on an extended art hiatus -- if anyone is interested in further information.

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome things to hear!! Congratulations! I'm getting excited, too; have to buy some acetate. I have the chemicals for subbing layer as referenced by PE in some old post. I bought them before I started PET corona experiments. I'm very interested in more specific information; especially the method of applying the subbing layer. Is it with the same coating method (blade etc) than the emulsion itself? Or have you tried spraying? The layer is probably very thin?

Can you tell your source for diacetate? I thought it wouldn't be easy to find.

I'm looking forward for your report in The Light Farm!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi hrst,

Thanks. I gotta say I appreciate the 'Congrats!' APUG is a tough crowd. At least this time I'm not getting roasted for my choice of fonts

Anyway, between Spring cleaning in my garden and subbing enough film to open a small factory, I totally forgot to post this link. http://thelightfarm.com/Map/BitsAndP...ulsionBlog.htm

I hope you give the acetate a try. Great stuff. And, with your technical talents, heaven only knows what great things you could do with it.
    d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise,

I'm going hyperdrive right now, just by reading your article! Your procedures look quite easy and results perfect. Especially the coating method for subbing layer seems easy. I feel this is really something we can do in our home darkrooms!

I hope I get the polyester subbing right sometime in the future, but I want to try acetate as soon as possible. I'll try to find a source for acetate sheet locally, first. I still have also the Ilfochrome chemistry experimentation to do .

And, Comic Sans is the best font available. It makes some people go crazy! It's a sign of courage to use it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've working very differently to what I used to do back in 2001-2005. I have hardly shot a LF frame since then (but will in the future when back in the west) but instead working on a long-term project in Afghanistan, for which 35mm (and some 6x7 RF) made the most sense.

Right now I think I am about 4-5 months off completion and pulling together the 'almost final' cut of images and will then decide what to do with them! It has been a fantastic experience and I hope I will have the opportunity to keep shooting in this vein. After shooting LF landscapes (which I am still passionate about) it has been extremely liberating and given me the focus I previously lacked. I now know where I want to be with photography and will let the course unfold from here. I have shot film throughout - a few hundred rolls in all likelihood - despite the constant comments about digital, but I did so because I wanted to and the project was personal and so I could.

Techniques have been simple. I have shot a variety of films and used a couple of standard developers and found that largely forgetting most technical nuances, aside from decent exposure and development, has also proven to be good for me. All in all, it has been the most useful few years of photography in my life and I hope there are many, many more to come.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin