Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,758   Posts: 1,516,007   Online: 904

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Join us on chat Denise!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Everyone,

I am very pleased to post that I will be teaching two weeks of silver gelatin emulsion-making at the Photographers' Formulary in June 2011. The two weeks will be divided into two separate classes. Week one is making and working with contact printing paper; week two is dry plate/artisan film emulsion making, shooting, and processing. The workshops can be taken individually, or together as soup-to-nuts antique artisan silver gelatin.

http://www.workshopsinmt.com/

I will make every effort to accommodate the experience and interest levels of each individual participating in the workshops. I'm a big believer in a friendly, cooperative learning environment. I think we'll all have a great time.

Also, the lineup in the Formulary schedule has a great piece of serendipity. Kerik Kouklis will be teaching pt/pd and gum the week following my dry plate workshop. Rather than an all-silver gelatin workflow, you could take dry plate/artisan film and follow it with Kerik's class, using the negatives you just made. So much fun, so little time! Carpe diem.

Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An additional emulsion workshop is coming up in January. PE / Ron Mowrey will be teaching a short class on basic gaslight paper-making at George Eastman House in Rochester, NY.

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/d...orkshop-2-2011.

This is a great opportunity for anyone interested. I've taken a workshop from Ron, and it's not just emulsion science that you will learn. Ron is a first class bard of Kodak history and legend. Great fun.

And about that opportunity part: Mark Osterman, Ron, and I would like to stage a Silver Gelatin Symposium at GEH sometime soon'ish, hopefully by 2012. But, and here's the rub, interest must be demonstrated to the folks who fund these kinds of things -- interest in the tangible form of people paying money to take classes at GEH and elsewhere.

Artisan silver gelatin emulsionmaking education is in its infancy. It's a financial gamble for all concerned -- instructors and hosts alike (no one involved expects to make money, but no one can afford to lose it either). The Photographers' Formulary is giving me the whole workshop facility for two weeks in June (Bless their faith!!). At GEH and at the Formulary, the classes offered this year will probably have to prove themselves if they are to be offered again. Bottom line (figuratively and literally): as nice as websites, forums, books and videos may be, hands-on education, in a real workshop environment, is invaluable to learning a craft. This year, in this particular situation, if you can afford the time and money to take one class in NY or one or two in Montana (or all three ), you will not only be learning a unique skill, but you will be helping to guarantee that the education will be available in the future, including more advanced classes. 2011 is probably the make-or-break point.

Denise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Denise.

I am tentatively scheduled to give another GEH workshop in the fall or early winter of 2011, but it all depends on the workshop in Jan. Mark and I have one of our Photo Engineer / GEH lunches this coming Thursday. I will have more information after my visit to GEH.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh man, I wish I had the money to get on a plane and attend the workshop! I need a sponsor.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark and I are going to begin setting up the lab in mid Dec. for the January 2011 workshop. We will make a few dry runs and an emulsion at GEH using my formula so that we can get off to good start when the class begins. We had a great lunch on Thursday the 28th, and I'll bet a lot of you would have wanted to be there!

I need an apprentice, not a sponsor.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mark and I are going to begin setting up the lab in mid Dec. for the January 2011 workshop. We will make a few dry runs and an emulsion at GEH using my formula so that we can get off to good start when the class begins. We had a great lunch on Thursday the 28th, and I'll bet a lot of you would have wanted to be there!

I need an apprentice, not a sponsor.

PE
    If I was in the U.S. I'd be on my way over!

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    An additional emulsion workshop is coming up in January. PE / Ron Mowrey will be teaching a short class on basic gaslight paper-making at George Eastman House in Rochester, NY.

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/d...orkshop-2-2011.

This is a great opportunity for anyone interested. I've taken a workshop from Ron, and it's not just emulsion science that you will learn. Ron is a first class bard of Kodak history and legend. Great fun.

And about that opportunity part: Mark Osterman, Ron, and I would like to stage a Silver Gelatin Symposium at GEH sometime soon'ish, hopefully by 2012. But, and here's the rub, interest must be demonstrated to the folks who fund these kinds of things -- interest in the tangible form of people paying money to take classes at GEH and elsewhere.

Artisan silver gelatin emulsionmaking education is in its infancy. It's a financial gamble for all concerned -- instructors and hosts alike (no one involved expects to make money, but no one can afford to lose it either). The Photographers' Formulary is giving me the whole workshop facility for two weeks in June (Bless their faith!!). At GEH and at the Formulary, the classes offered this year will probably have to prove themselves if they are to be offered again. Bottom line (figuratively and literally): as nice as websites, forums, books and videos may be, hands-on education, in a real workshop environment, is invaluable to learning a craft. This year, in this particular situation, if you can afford the time and money to take one class in NY or one or two in Montana (or all three ), you will not only be learning a unique skill, but you will be helping to guarantee that the education will be available in the future, including more advanced classes. 2011 is probably the make-or-break point.

Denise
    I'll see if I can make 2011.
    Last edited by Athiril; 10-31-2010 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi PE,
    If Rochester, NY is anything like Buffalo,NY I don't wanna go! I was one of those New Yorkers who never left the Five Burroughs. And rarely the 1. But I have been to Buffalo. Please keep it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A heads-up, if anyone here is still interested in making and using emulsions for their photography. I've located, purchased, and tested two thicknesses of subbed film, one perfect for sheet film and the other for roll. Retail!

I made a batch of film emulsion for my Baby Graphic (2-1/4 x 3-1/4) and tested a few holders at my local favorite spot -- familiar to me, yet a serious photographic challenge for anything but a point and shoot. Rousing success! So, I'm off to Minnesota for a week. I'm carrying the lens in my purse, the camera in my checked bag, and I shipped 18 loaded holders USPS to my mom's house. It will be interesting to see if this can be easy and successful enough to become a reasonable way to 'do photography'.

I'm bending your ear with all this in the hope that this forum can become active again with 'real' stuff. In my heart of hearts I can't imagine anyone not thinking making emulsions is the cat's meow .

Four prints (two here and two in following post). Yaquina Lighthouse, Newport, OR. Yesterday morning. Bright fog. Absolutely minimal post-processing. Details coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yaquina Lighthouse 1.jpg   Yaquina Lighthouse Staircase.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin