Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,545   Online: 1066

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Enjoy the silence Kirk!

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk,
    Can your synthesizers replicat Tunesion Throat Singing, or any style of Throat Singing? That is my currant audio facination. If you are not familiar with throat singing, I highly recommend . Google search for samples of various styles.
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Bill - I saw a group of Tuva throat singers at Dartmouth some years ago, it was great! They were from Mongolia IIRC. Not the sort of thing you see every day.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I love to listen Oberlinger Organs , I dont know they are described as synthesing something and I love Manzarek tube synth , they use it NBA and really wonderful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I found out what tomorrow knows... I ended up getting a cold and spending the last couple days sick.

Bill - I have heard throat singers. It's sure an odd sound, and rather synthetic sounding.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk,
    I trust that you are being "tongue-in- cheek" about throat singing sounding synthetic. 'Tis the exact opposite.
    Many, many years ago, I saw the then famous Indian Sitar master Ravi Shankar at Carnagie Hall. Their was a "back-up" musician who did percusion and vocals. Befor doing a purely vocal piece he made the statement that "all instruments can be duplicated by the Human voice." He then proved it. I think that he had it backwards, though.
    Funny how fickle the public is. One year the House was sold out. When Shankar came back the very next hear, the Hall was almost empty.
    Bill '

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kirk,

quite an impressive setup of instruments you've got! I really love the sound of the early stuff, the analog ones. Music, that's my first love. Mum and Dad played all sorts of crazy 70's stuff on the stereo when I grew up so a lot of the 4/4th, eternal love lyrics things are just... not my kind of music. I used to dig Frank Zappa when I was 5 or 6 years old - in hindsight I am happy I didn't understand the lyrics, would have been too much for that tender age...
    Last edited by Jerevan; 09-24-2011 at 02:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - I find a lot of the different styles of throat singing very "synthetic" sounding - from the bass drones to the whistling overtones, they all sound as if they could be "electronic" to me! Synths have come a long way since Moog Modulars and Switched On Bach.

Jerevan - thanks!

I was really lucky that I started working in the mid-80s and had disposable income then that I could use to buy many of those synths back then. The digital synths were coming out and people were scrapping all their old analog stuff, and I was able to buy several synths that had cost $5000 just a couple years before for less than $400!
    Hmmm, reminds me a lot like the camera world a couple years ago - especially for large format cameras.
    Kirk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    BIll - was George Harrison playing with Shankar the first time you mentioned seeing him and not the second time?

And sitars are very cool sounding as well - very non-western sounding. I have a few floppy disks (5 1/4") for my Emulator II sampler with sitar samples on it. But the sampler doesn't really do justice to an original instrument like a sitar...
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 09-25-2011 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk,
    There were Throat singers long befor Synthesizers,analog or digital. Had you heared throat singing in ,say 1956, would you think that they sounded
    synthetic? I doubt that that word could have been applied to any form of music back then. Soon, the New York Philharmonic will be tuning its instruments to more closely sound like a digital recording. "Life immitating Art".
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin