Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,708   Online: 794

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or art imitating life!

Forbidden Planet, a movie released in 1956 and filmed in 1955 used synthesized music. (Elelectronic Music by Louis and Bebe Barron)

So......

Anyhow, back to what we are doing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first Great Travel Experiment is over and it all worked better than I could have hoped (and I'm a wildly optimistic person.) Travel with handmade film is identical to travel with any other kind of film. At no time was there a sense that I was 'working alternative.' It helped that I worked with TechPan sheet film for years. The film I was using last week exposes almost identically. My old habits kicked in and I didn't even use an exposure meter. Much better latitude than TechPan at development time, though. I can highly recommend the experience to anyone willing to embrace slow photography.

Best to you all, whatever your photographic (or musical ) pursuits. carpe diem.
    Denise
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Storefront.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Looks great, Denise!

Now was this roll film or plates or sheets?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Kirk,

Sorry to be so long responding, but I just saw your question! That trip was with 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 sheet film and a Baby Graphic camera. That seems so long ago! D.I.Y. film has come a long way since then. I shot ~ASA 100 ortho roll film with handheld cameras all last summer.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I thought maybe it was time to resurrect this old thread. We can maybe morph it into a "post your ..." gallery. The GEH bromide emulsion (i.e. mostly dry plate) workshop is this week. Some good work should come from that. There are also the GEH alumni from the Cl paper workshops. A few people are actively following the Light Farm web workshops, and I have to assume other people are happily pursuing their own paths. If we all start posting here, we might be able to raise awareness enough to get 'dry plate' added to the ubiquitous list of alternative processes that always lists wet plate, but never dry! Of course, handmade silver gelatin isn't just dry plate. We've got glass, paper, and film all in our corner.

It's hard to over-emphasize how important it is to break through the perception barrier. Most people, even highly educated photographers and gallery managers, don't realize that handmade silver gelatin is possible, and it is an unfortunate fact of human nature that most people do not see what they do not already know exists. Let's update the perception of what's possible.

d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Denise, our first two emulsions were made by two groups of students. We had to use 2 darkrooms at GEH to fit them in. We cut and washed fresh 4x5 glass plates and they are drying. Tomorrow we noodle and wash the emulsions. Then they will be coated.

Later this week, Chris will demo the film emulsion on paper and film support and if time permits we will run tests. The students will learn 2 methods for plate coating and one for film coating.

We have students scheduled from all over the US and the UK.

Oh, and a tour of the archives with favorite photographers is also included for later this week. Mark asked each student for their favorite photographers. We will hopefully be able do that while the plates are drying.

We plan on following the same format for both weeks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a perfectly excellent good time. I heard from Mark last night and he is very happy with how things are going. He's got my fingers crossed that your snow storm cooperates with shooting those gorgeous plates! We haven't had enough snow this year. Don't shoot me, but I envy you Lake Effect folks

Best of days to you and GEH,
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plates I saw today look wonderful.

We will do some film and paper coatings on Thursday.

Everyone seems happy.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you can encourage the participants to post here. I saw a few of the plates from yesterday. Really terrific.
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of nice pics today. More coming tomorrow. Then paper and film.

We are moving forward and working hard. Several repeat students and much pressure to move onward.

many demos by the staff of GEH with KUDOS to them!

PE

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin