Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,928   Online: 1061

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry if I was unclear. All hot press papers were Strathmore. We also used a Canvas which was ok, and Cranes 90# cold press which fell apart during the process. It is a nice paper but does not survive the traditional photo process. Credit Denise for finding that Cranes 90# paper is not good for silver-gelatin. I didn't know.

We also used a 300# cold press paper that was very nice, but I forget the manufacturer.

The only way to find out what is good or not is to try it!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear.
    Thanks... Well, the only Strathmore Velour I can find is with the name "inkjet" and even that is not on their current web page I was able to find.

I was only able to pull up 3 images with an image search; 1 of the package and 2 deceptive catch alls that list everything- which I guess is an attempt to raise someones hit count... I don't really know... but the internet is getting way too cluttered with waste...

I just wanted to know what the stuff feels and looks like up close...
    the name implies one thing but I am getting the impression
    it ain't all dat purdy!

One never knows, though, so I still wish I could actually get some tiny samples of the Strathmore and Hahnemuhle's Velour... to help me judge it's potential value before the confronting the expense of obtaining a real supply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get mine across the counter at Michaels, a very well known art supply house here. They come in pads of about 11x14x25 sheets.

Of course, living in Japan may make things difficult. All sources are not created equal. First star on the right and on till morning and all that you know!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I get mine across the counter at Michaels, a very well known art supply house here.
    PE
    PE,
    Have you ever looked at Hyatt's, there is one on Jefferson Rd. near the 390. In Buffalo they are cheaper than Michael's. I have also bought quantities from several online sellers; Cheap Joe's, Dick Blick, etc., cheaper yet. You will pay tax at Blick.

I found your comment about cold press paper intriguing, have you ever tried rough? I have some of both, will have to give it a go some day.

T

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried a lot of papers Tim. I have stacks of different paper samples here. This includes rough surfaces, glossy surfaces and others. I also have shopped at the RIT art supply center, but Hyatts is quite inconvenient most of the time and Michaels is very close by. I usually combine the trip to Michaels with other shopping. I drove by it yesterday on another errand, but did not need any paper, so convenience counts. Thanks.

PE

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin