Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,662   Online: 814

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

My 1st paper emulsion & some success

I pretty much followed D. Ross's formulas with some changes to suit my own workflow and availability of materials. I omitted the KI because I wanted to see what the effect was. And since Everclear is not available in NYS, I used Bacardi 151, ummm rum flavored emulsion.

I test print shows almost all the steps on a Stouffer step wedge, a very long scale; interesting! Developer was Ansco 130 1:1 for 2 minutes. I am going to experiment by adding KBr to get the contrast up. Paper is Arches HP, coated with a blade I constructed out of 1/2" plexi-glass.

The blade is shaped like a trough inside and holds the paper flat just ahead of the stainless blade. It was surfaced on a thick plate of glass with 220 grit sandpaper and water; it's very flat. The blade is a 6" stainless ruler (good enough for now) and is clamped in the slots you see in the image. Two stainless screws squeeze the slots closed to hold the blade.

I need to make the blade out of 1" plexi so it will hold more emulsion. Right now 10 mL is the max.

Also attached is a quick graph of its curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emul20100121.jpg   Emul20100121graph.jpg   Blade2283.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Should add that I used La Baleine seasalt from the Med.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Very nice job!

I really like your blade design - I've been thinking of something very similar in plastic.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanX Kirk.

The blade is an improvement over my first design for paper use. The first blade had a space of about one inch between the body and the steel blade. It was easy to see that if the paper had any buckles or bulges, it would not maintain a consistent gap under the blade. Placing the blade closer to the body was a vast improvement.

Before I surfaced it on sandpaper, I assembled the whole blade and snugged up the screws to account for any stress induced deformities. It literally sticks to the plate glass I coat on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim;

Very nice job in blade design and emulsion making. The step scale looks pretty good but a little low in contrast.

Which emulsion did you make?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_bessell View Post
    The first blade had a space of about one inch between the body and the steel blade. It was easy to see that if the paper had any buckles or bulges, it would not maintain a consistent gap under the blade. Placing the blade closer to the body was a vast improvement.
    Are you saying the bottom of the well was about 1 inch and that you decreased that distance in the second well?

How did you do the machining on the well? It looks very nice.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tim;

The step scale looks pretty good but a little low in contrast.

Which emulsion did you make?

PE
    Yes, I guess it is low in contrast, if you consider the dMax is only 1.63. But here is the kicker. I have printed a negative that was made for a Kallitype and it looks pretty good for a first, quick, and dirty attempt.

As I mentioned above I would like to experiment with the developer to try and adjust contrast to suit the negative I wish to print.

Do you think that's possible?

The emulsion is Denise's 1A from the Light Farm without add KI.

... and thank you for your comments.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Tim,

Fantastic work!! I think your step tablet results look great. And, very clever coating tool.

I am particularly happy to see you adapt an emulsion recipe. I would love to hear all the details -- if you are willing to share. This is the way we'll grow the art and technology. In addition to anything you can post here, I will be delighted to publish your work on The Light Farm. Again, congratulations!

Denise Ross
    editor@thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tim, 'Hi' again,

Our responses crossed in the air. Yes, TLF paper emulsions (i.e. 'old' style emulsions) are very sensitive to different developers. You will be able to exercise quite a bit of control that way - not just contrast, but also color to a certain extent.
    d

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Are you saying the bottom of the well was about 1 inch and that you decreased that distance in the second well?

How did you do the machining on the well? It looks very nice.
    If I get a chance I might draw it up with dimension real quick in SketchUp and post the file.

It's a little difficult to machine because it heats up and melts pretty fast, clogging up your tools. Drilling and tapping with water works well, but not feasible on a table saw or band saw. Files work and scrapers give a almost perfect finish.

In the end I will have one made of all stainless i think.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin