Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,512   Online: 1008

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Reading this almost causes me to regard rocket scientists as [...] in comparison to the film technology. Cupertino seems a building full of monkeys. I had no idea. This is chemistry folks, in it's full glory. Mind boggling.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 06-30-2013 at 05:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Offensive language.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Many answers to many questions. Yes, digital is partly to blame for the sheen, which does not bother me!

PE
    Ha! It bothers some of us when we use glass carriers and get Newton rings on the emulsion side! - which I still haven't figured out how to get around! It's a fairly well known issue with TMax and a few well known names gave up on TMax for this reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, there are many solutions to your problem. One, suggested by EK years ago was to use Opal glass which is frosted and prevents Newton rings. Also, there are methods to prevent them.

Even in the most critical applications, we did not find glass carriers significant. In fact, oil immersion carriers with glass were of more use. We had some contact with that as far back as 1962 when I was at Cape Canaveral.

Also, with a mixed workflow which includes scanning (the most significant change yet) this helps imaging. So, there were solutions and tradeoffs. It seems to work for most.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Reading this almost causes me to regard rocket scientists as [...] in comparison to the film technology. Cupertino seems a building full of monkeys. I had no idea. This is chemistry folks, in it's full glory. Mind boggling.
    Yes, by comparison, rocket science is comparatively easy. It's mostly plug-and-chug mathematics, but very little in the way of creativity unless someone's trying to do something significantly different.

Photochemistry...every chemical added adds a possibility of unintended interactions... think of the growth rate of the permutation function P(x,y) and the combination function C(x,y) as x and grow. So to minimize a side-effect.. you can add another chemical.. oops, now you've just increased x yet again.. or figure out some other way to shunt the effects of the side effect to a negligible amount.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 06-30-2013 at 05:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Offensive language deleted in quote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Michael,

When I was using a huge Crossfield Drumscanner , I was using a British made anti Newton ring spray. Vaseline is another way. And the oil immersion but its messy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, in rocket science, you cannot easily do factorial experiments. In photo engineering it is quite common.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a good friend who was a "rocket Scientist", back in the '50s and '60s. Back then at least, it was anything but "plug and play" In every field, From Rocket Science to short order cook, it looks easier than it is.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, frosted glass below the negative is not a good idea. As for wet mounting/oil emersion, this is a last resort at best, not something anyone would want to have as part of a normal workflow. I've tried a number of coated/thin film optical glasses in an effort to get rid of Newton rings when they occur on the emulsion side of TMax. Since it is an intermittent problem, it is difficult to say with certainty but I'm pretty sure none of them worked. The "best" solution I've found is to use a sheet of unexposed, fixed Tri-X 320, which has just enough "tooth" on both sides. But in the end, better off using Ilford. It's a shame since TMax 100 and 400 (TMY-2) are unique films. I had naively assumed there was something about the film that meant the emulsion overcoat had to be glossy. Now that I know it was simply a compromise in ease of analog workflow for the sake of scanning quality, I don't feel quite as bad about dumping them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Michael, I have made enlargements of up to 16x20 from both 120 and 4x5 negatives without a glass carrier and they are quite sharp. Some of them are on display here at our mall at the instruction center. I can understand that some people have preferences, but I seem t be able to get along without glass. We did at EK as well in most cases. They used liquid filled glass carriers for 30x40, but that was more for scratch elimination.

However, this is far from the intended topic in some ways.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Point taken - apologies for the digression - but I'm happy to have learnt a few more things about making film anyway

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin