Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,457   Online: 966

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But well, killing them is a completely different matter than eating them!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When I worked in a microbiology research lab I had to kill many mice,rats and rabbits. One of the most disturbing sounds I have ever heared is the final scream of a rabbit. That was 40 years ago. But it still haunts me. I just could not do that today.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And what is interesting, Bill, is that I watched a weasel deliver the death-bite to a much bigger rabbit and then drag it off the dirt road (this was in the Redwoods). That rabbit did not make a sound.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In science, we do not "kill" an animal, we "sacrifice" it.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Bill - for a quickie LD50 test you only need 2 mice and 24 hours! ;^)
    Hello Kirk,

I prefer to use a cat. One only requires one. Actually the cat is half dead and half alive - bingo, LD50, every time, or at least until one makes a measurement.

Bill, I agree, the sound of a dying rabbit is blood-curdling. Many years ago a fellow who was working for me dispatched a weasel by clubbing it with a 2x4. Now weasels don't usually hang around long enough to let this happen, but it was so preoccupied with killing the rabbit (actually it was a hare) that it neglected to watch for danger. There is probably a lesson of some sort in this.

Oh, and to keep on topic, interesting work Bill.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beta Testing the Beta Testers...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ray;

IMHO, if I were to offer to have you as a beta tester, I would first like to see some of your emulsion and coating work... it is essential that he see that you are capable of doing justice to his synthetic material in all regards.

Certainly. I fully agree. That's just common sense.
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-23-2010 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In science, we do not "kill" an animal, we "sacrifice" it.

PE
    The problem is that the life being "sacrificed" does not belong to us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The latest word is that some scientists believe that vegetation has some sort of cognitive ability or sensory system. See this months Science News for the article.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    When I worked in a microbiology research lab I had to kill many mice,rats and rabbits. One of the most disturbing sounds I have ever heared is the final scream of a rabbit. That was 40 years ago. But it still haunts me. I just could not do that today.
    Bill
    I used to raise rabbits. Had 52 at one point.
    One night, our dog started making a huge fuss and got us up to see what was going on... it was JUST like a scene right out of "Lassie"... the dog coaxed us into following him to the hutch... where, with his help, we discovered that one of the little newborns had fallen out of the cage... the dog sniffed at the tiny thing then looked at us... it was the an act of both communication and of kindness. Our respect for that dog rose.

In the Future, when we must live side by side with forms of life... that are obviously both intellegent and delicious... what will our justification be then?

I have never head the death cry of a rabbit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The latest word is that some scientists believe that vegetation has some sort of cognitive ability or sensory system. See this months Science News for the article.

PE
    Looking for it now... but this is something I have never ever doubted.
    "The Secret Life of Plants" was often thought about at one time....
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin