Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,540   Online: 901

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

I Put My Images Where My Mouth Is

Hello to All,
    For Some time now, I have been blabing on this Forum that I am working on a Silver-Halide emulsion without gelatin. I have now solved the last known problem with my formuls, which was bubbles upon drying.
    First, I must apologize for the fact that I can not disclose the nature of the "gelatin substitute", as it is covered by a Confidentiality Agreement which I have with a company which, I hope, will manufacture and market it. Also, there is a processing step in the making of the actual emulsion that I will, for now, keep confidential.
    I will mention the following:
    1) This is a glass negative emulsion.
    2)The emulsion contains no animal or plant derivatives,such as gelatin,gums or startches.
    3) The emulsion is an Ag/Br/I emulsion
    4) Once the "gelatin substitute" is in hand, the emulsion is VERY simple and easy to make.
    5) Without S or Au sensitizers the ISO is 40. With S and Au sensitizers the ISO is about 320.
    6)The images I have attached are blue sensitive only. Making an Ortho Emulsion is easily done with adition of the green sensitive emulsion that PE has recommended, SDE3006. Or,alternatively, I could have added erythrosine prior to percipitation. All this is not speculation. I have actualy done these things with earlier makes of the same formula. Within the next couple of days, I will post images of the faster emulstion and of the ortho emulsion.
    7) The emulsion looks and coats much like a silver/gelatin emulsion,EXCEPT that it dosn't set-up like gelatin. It must actualy dry in the dark. This takes about 3 to 8 hours with hardener, which is glyoxal.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-18-1.jpg   2-18-2.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nice mouth!

I look forward to more!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Rockin!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Bill,

Great work!

Can you tell the group how you achieved such a high speed emulsion or is this related to the gelatin substitute?

Emulsion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great work Bill. Congratulations.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exciting!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,

Why does your first example plate remind me so much of this??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Great stuff, Bill!

Of course I make prints with gelatin, but no silver, but I don't think it would work well in-camera!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulsion View Post
    Bill,

Great work!

Can you tell the group how you achieved such a high speed emulsion or is this related to the gelatin substitute?

Emulsion
    I can tell you part of it now. The other part, I will discuss with my counterpart on the "other side" of the Confidentiality Agreement".
    For S/Au senitization, I use Steigmann's Solution. Not the Hypo/Au combination recommended by most modern emulsion makers. For some reason, which I do not pretend to understand, the Steigmann's has worked better with this type of emulsion. Also, I use quite a bit more than is usualy suggested.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations!

I have an OT question though, is that Little Mountain in the second photo?

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin