Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,853   Online: 739

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I have an old box of Knox Gelatine (pic enclosed)

Good Day Fellow Emulsionologists,

I found this in my Mother's cupboard a few years ago. I used a few envelopes of it back then; probably shouldn't have.:rolleyes: I asked her the other day if she had any idea when she purchased it. Her best guess was late '50s, Of course she is in her late '80s and could be mistaken:o, but I doubt it.

Stamped on the top is a code I may be able to use in finding the production date. Knox Gelatine Inc., Johnstown, NY 12095 is on the box and individual envelopes. Mr. Knox started in Johnstown I believe.

More good news:
    I have another batch of paper emulsion ready to coat this morning.

T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D200_2301.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fact that there is a postal ZIP code in the address tells us that this is from the late 60's at most.

Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rick,
    According to Wikipedia, the US introduced the Postal Code in 1963. So 63 at most. Thanks for the hint.

T

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Correction to my OP.

The zip code is only on the box, not the individual envelopes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_bessell View Post
    Rick,
    According to Wikipedia, the US introduced the Postal Code in 1963. So 63 at most. Thanks for the hint.

T
    Thanks for reminding me of how old I am. Its been so long ago, I'd forgotten exactly when they instituted the zip code.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of how old I am.
    hee, hee... I'm old enough i should remember; must be senility seting in. What did they have before zip codes? Was it just two digits (eg. 14215 = 15)?

T
    Last edited by tim_bessell; 03-02-2010 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_bessell View Post
    hee, hee... I'm old enough i should remember; must be senility seting in. What did they have before zip codes? Was it just two digits (eg. 14215 = 15)?

T
    Tim:

Yes, bringing back memories.... Only larger communities, e.g., NYC, had numbers, which were eventually incorporated into ZIP codes.

Growing up, my home address was "Brooklyn, 15, New York". Spending Summers in rural Illinois, folks there would not know what to make of that "15".

I also used telephones before area codes were invented
    In fact, living in a small town 30 miles north of NYC in the 1960's (hmm, that's fifty years ago:o), I could still dial the neighbor using only four digits.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really old then!

I remember using 3 digit phone numbers in the Pittsburgh area. Then they added a prefix to make it 4 digit and then 1 digit for 5 and then 2 more using letters. So, phone numbers once had 2 letters and 5 numbers, such as ULysses 8-9941.

Anyhow, back on topic, the old gelatin plant was about 20 miles west of Rochester NY in LeRoy. If you go to Google Earth and slide South West to LeRoy on 490, you find the Jell-O museum which is now a paintball arena as well. I've played many games there with friends and grandkids.

Over time, Knox has added and removed many extraneous ingredients to their plain unflavored gelatin. I have seen Dextrin, Sodium Silicates and other items in it to prevent spoilage, add a touch of flavor and prevent caking. It is also not as highly refined as regular Photo Grade gelatin. In addition, IIRC, the Bloom Index is rather low giving it more swell and less hardness per unit weight. OTOH, people have used it to make emulsions.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actually, I used the 'old' stuff to make a gelatin cyanotype, it turned out beautiful. It was on the same Fabriano paper I am having so much trouble getting my silver gelatin emulsion to stick to. Which make me want to give this paper a sub coat of Knox before coating the silver gelatin.

PE, do you think this box of Knox is an active gelatin?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was a kid, we only had to dial four digits to call anyone in the town we lived in. Only used the area code for long distance, and the three digit prefix for the neighboring town. Okay, enough of off thread banter.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin