Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,730   Online: 826

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you! If you can find information about the specific dyes, I'd appreciate it.

I can order from VWR.

However, for these first stages, I try to avoid the extra complexity two-sided subbing would involve, and direct that effort into emulsion making itself. But it would be interesting to try anti-halo anti-curl backing at a later stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is Honeywell Antihalation dye, Oxonol Red 536 PINA.

Have fun!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Erythrosine doesn't seem to wash away from gelatin so it would affect printing severely.
    I was tempted to opine that all the old recipes couldn't wrong, but I decided it was worth the effort to do a test just to make sure. I made a erythrosin-dyed gelatin filter and contact printed it over half an artisan film negative on Ilford Multigrade. For reference, I matched the amount of pink to your attachment. The only blocking is about what you'd expect from that amount of density. I think it's safe to assume erythrosin would work fine as a backing addendum. That said, I'm with you. Emulsion making is the fun part! And, actually, I love halation. I'm trying to enhance it in the series of images I'm currently working on.

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erythrosin test.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Coating a gelatin backing on the film will help reduce curl.

PE[/QUOTE]
    The best way to prevent curl :- Use glass as your backing ! Not that silly acetate stuff !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, I agree! Use glass.

But, as for Erythrosine, it certainly does bond to gelatin and paper as well. It is sometimes difficult to remove from coatings and can leave a pronounced pink stain behind.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    P.E.
    Seriously though, Is it erythrosine that leaves those pink stains on TMAX-100 after the fix?
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Isn't erythrosine the spectral sensitizer in the old orthochrome Verichrome film? That sample is sure the same color as unprocessed Verichrome.

I've processed ancient Verichrome, and while the results were dismal (it doesn't have the stability of Verichrome Pan), the processed negative had no hint of magenta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erythrosine is not used in any modern film. Its last use in commercial products AFAIK was in the 40s. Also, AFAIK, it was not used in any Verichrome film.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin