Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,303   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

AARGHH!! what IDIOTS! AMATEURS and so on...

Sorry, but have to rant.

As some of you know, I have for years used the FOMA liquid emulsion, but unfortunately the danish importer stopped his buisness this year..

So - a polish student found a shop in Poland, that have the emulsion - we ordered 15 kg's (!!), and after some time it got here..

Everybody happy.. (for a while).

then the students came to me - one after one - and told me that the emulsion was grey - very grey...

Shi#, I thought. Maybe it had been x rayed in some airport (I wanted it sent on ground), or something else had happened..

then today it came to me.
    A student had shown me his bottle (black light proof plastic, containing 1 kg's of emulsion) and I noticed that the lid was blue....

Why blue, I thought - carried the bottle to the darkroom - unscrew the lis, and held it up against (red) light.....

IT IS NOT LIGHTPROOF!!

WHY - WHY - WHYYYYY would anybody use a transparent lid for light sensible products???

I have never encountered this before - and the only thing I can think of is, that the polish compagny might have got a huge bulk of emulsion, and then re-batched it in these unusable containers...

AMATEURS!!

The question now is, whether I can get my money back (it cost a lot), and whether I can save some of the not melted emulsion, by removing the top layer of allready emulsion before melting the rest (the container looks to be allright).

But I am shocked by this. And mad as hell....

End of rant..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, that might just be the perfect explanation of stupidity!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you get some emulsion from Silverprint?

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    emil

can you contact FOMA and ask them what you should do ?

maybe you can exchange the emulsion directly with THEM ?

just wonderin'

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    WHY - WHY - WHYYYYY would anybody use a transparent lid for light sensible products???
    Because they lack sensibility? (you probably meant light sensitive )

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    But I am shocked by this. And mad as hell....

End of rant..
    I can sympathize with you, it is plain stupid. Reminds me of some other APUG thread where one poster told an anecdote where something like a board of directors of some photo company introduced a new paper product, and one of the people around the table opened it to "admire" the new product... couldn't have been working there long...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your problem with the emulsion. Since you are in Denmark it might be easier to get it from here:

http://www.fomafoto.com

They are in Norway. I haven't used them myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Because they lack sensibility? (you probably meant light sensitive )

I can sympathize with you, it is plain stupid. Reminds me of some other APUG thread where one poster told an anecdote where something like a board of directors of some photo company introduced a new paper product, and one of the people around the table opened it to "admire" the new product... couldn't have been working there long...
    It was posted by me. The product was film. The company was Kodak. It was supposedly true and told about a new board member from an outside company. Since I didn't go to an board meetings, I had to take the story on faith. It is believable though.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjarider View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your problem with the emulsion. Since you are in Denmark it might be easier to get it from here:

http://www.fomafoto.com

They are in Norway. I haven't used them myself.
    Well, the top lid in the photo of the 1kg canister there certainly isn't blue. It is black, and seems well sealed.

So Emil me indeed have some "repackaged" stuff...

59,60 euro for 1kg That is dirt cheap! I am surprised, is that price correct??

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    emil

can you contact FOMA and ask them what you should do ?

maybe you can exchange the emulsion directly with THEM ?

just wonderin'

john
    hi John - yes, I'll certainly do that.
    I honestly doesn't know whether this happened in the Foma store OR in the polish one. I can't believe FOMA would do something this stupid, but on the other hand, the containers are "sealed" (the lid is fixed to the rest as a coke lid on a bottle), and I can't see a small photo shop do that...

It's a mystery.

I know about fomafoto.com - I can get it from there, but the shipping prices from Norway is really high.:rolleyes:

My best choise for the future is to see if I can get the emulsion directly from the factory (they have shown a positive attitude towards this, when asked..)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Well, the top lids in the photo of the 1kg canisters there certainly aren't blue. They are black, and seem well sealed.

So Emil me indeed have some "repackaged" stuff...

59,60 eure for 1kg That is dirt cheap! I am surprised, is that price correct??

Marco
    true.

About the price. It is somewhat more expensive than the ones I am used to buy(!!) (FOMA IS cheap), but the price is ok - the shipping price will be high!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin