Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,470   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

B&W printing on ceramics/wood etc

Hi
    My daughter is taking her A level photography exam soon and was hoping to develop some B&W photos onto ceramic tiles in the darkroom using Fotospeed LE30 Liquid Emulsion. She followed the instructions but when fixing the tile, the print came off. Then tried to print on wood, which fixed ok but came off during washing. Can anyone give her any advice please.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Might try a coat of poly on the tile or wood before coating with the liquid emulsion.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to add a subbing layer of hardened gelatin first or use a hardening fixer. I've coated ceramics & wood etc many times and it's not difficult. Where are you in the UK ?

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Vaughn
    You need a coat of a vernish or something like that on the tiles or wood BEFORE you coat the emulsion.
    A perfect materials especially for woods is the Arabic gomma or a matt warnish of painting.
    Good results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need to varnish tiles, but you do need to varnish wood.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for the quick responses, will try varnishing the tiles first. She is taking her exam on Monday, so think she is going to have a busy weekend in the darkroom!! Oh, and I'm in Northants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need a gelatin subbing layer on the tiles, food gelatin will do but ideally it needs a hardener like chrome alum added but thats not easy to get hold of quickly. You only need a few drops of a 10% solution.

If your local camera shops have a hardening fixer that might do the trick on it's own. For the wood get a can of clear lacquer from Halfords or similar and spray the wood to seal it, let it dry 2-3 hours the rub lightly with 600 grit Wet & Dry to roughen the surface (Halfords again).

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some useful information here on applying liquid emulsion to paper, wood, plastic, tiles etc.

http://www.macodirect.de/download/Ro...ckmagic_en.pdf
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did a similar project for my photo class a month ago. I was making a tile mosaic with prints on it, and I honestly gave up trying to print on tile. Took a 25lb bag of Paster of Paris, spread it thin and shattered it.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was going to say PM me your address and I'll bung some chrome alum & gelatin in the post... But if the exam is on Monday, the stuff probably wouldn't arrive in time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin