Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,512   Online: 873

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Colloid on Glass Question

Is there a way i can Place colloid on glass and place under my enlarger
    and transfer that to the emulsion?

Or do i have to use a pinhole camera?

I just saw a video and I am awed... these will make nice Xmas Present for my family.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I do not realy understand what you are asking.. Are you asking "Can one use a Colloid plate as a contact negative? If that is your question-Of course. But the "emulsion" must be of enlarger speed.
    What dose a pinhole camera have to do with this?
    I think that no one else has responded to your question because it is just not clear as to what you want to do.
    Bill.
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What I am asking is..
    When you place the colloid on the glass .. and after you bathe it.
    Do you have to use a camera to expose the image to the emulsion.

What i would like to do is. expose the emulsion with my enlarger and not the camera ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmmm, I think I know what you mean. I thought that Wet plate Collodion (sensitized with silver nitrate) is mainly UV sensitive, so that may be a problem with an enlarger. Dry plate would be a different issue I think. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have made dry plates that i used instead enlarging paper, the emulsion
    is basically paper emulsion ... wet plates, as kal said,
    are sensitive to a different type of light ... making enlargements might be troublesome.
    ( and collodion is flammable ("sensitive" ) to heat. )

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello zolveria,

I have used an enlarger (tungsten lamp) to make wet-plate collodion on glass positives from B&W film negatives and ambrotypes from B&W film transparencies. The exposure time was 5-8 minutes, but works quite well. There are many variables, so your results will differ. I do not have a working set-up to use sunlight, as was used in the old days, and some people use today. I wanted to make images of subjects that could not be still long enough for wet-plate. Another thing to note: Wet-plate has a very different spectral response than panchromatic film, so if you use a panchromatic negative the results will look quite different than a wet-plate of the same scene. Also, wet-plate is extremely fine-grained. The enlarged image of a film negative may not have as fine a grain. Tonal range and Dmax are also factors. I did not find this to be a problem for my purposes.

If you already do wet-plate, give it a go. If not, the harder part (and most fun), is making wet plates. It is magic! (So is making silver-gelatin emulsions).

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Last edited by CRhymer; 05-27-2010 at 08:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin