Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,019   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Help!!! Black Magic prints turned black

I have very long time this problem. I coated in Dark room my sheets of normal paper with Black Magic VC, but then i tried to make prints on it every print turned just a pieces of black paintings. The exposure time i tried from 99 seconds to 1! With different aperture. Than i though that this emulsion is very high contrast and it doesn't work with this negative and I ordered the other Black MAgic RBM2 (grade3). Today tried to print on coated sheets. The results are the same - everything is black. Than i tested a piece of paper with emulsion on it without lighting to put it to the developer. The result was the same again EVEN WITHOUT LIGHTING IN ENLARGER that piece was black. The developer is normal kodak for paper. The emulsion i ordered in different shops but the results are the same.
    What is the problem? What did i do wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to coat and develop one paper in complete darkness without any safelight. This way you can rule out safelight fog.

Which kind of safelight do you use and are you sure there is no light leaks when you coat and process?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How old it the emulsion? Perhaps it was exposed to light already?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the most amassing thing that before buying Black Magic emulsion i tried to make prints with liquid light (friend gave me to try) and those print worked out very well. All that i've done in the same dark room with the same light conditions. Just because i live in Netherlands i can't get Liquid Light so that's why i bought Black magic/ But i don't understand why i can't get the image with this emulsion! All conditions are the same.
    The second thing is that Black Magic bottles i ordered from different shops so i can't believe that both of them were exposed by post or both of them are expired?
    May be the water is too hot for warming? i was waiting about 10 minutes till boiled water will get cooler to warm up emulsion. May be it was still hot?
    What about developer? Can it influence?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The light conditions are just red light like in normal dark room. What els it can be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you should ask the manufacturer about this?

And, make sure the bottle doesn't have a translucent lid:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...ateurs-so.html
    ;D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    but what do you think about warming up the emulsion? Could i kill it with too hot water? I normally put the glass with emulsion into a bath with water as i said it was a boiled water that has been staying after 10 minutes to get colder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by giadne View Post
    but what do you think about warming up the emulsion? Could i kill it with too hot water? I normally put the glass with emulsion into a bath with water as i said it was a boiled water that has been staying after 10 minutes to get colder
    I've never used that product, but i know that tempature can cause fogging.. dont know about the total black.

For liquification, you will need a bucket to be filled with warm water (40-45°C / 100 - 115 F).
    from this

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    what kind of emulsion can be more safe to use?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All of them can be frustrating if you don't follow the directions. If you have been re-heating only a small amount from each bottle, and not the bottle itself, then try re-heating another small amount this time at 115f max. While its melting lets keep the safe light from falling on it (to prevent it from fogging). Also review this link and see if you are following the directions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin