Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,788   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the brink

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

On the brink

Well, two things on the brink really.

1. I have managed to order some samples of the biocide that Kodak uses for preserving gelatin and emulsions. If it works out, then this will allow emulsion keeping and gelatin keeping before coating to be increased by nearly a year or more. This will be a great economical benefit to workers in this area.

2. I have two samples of chemicals coming that will allow me to make my first color coatings. I am preparing to make 3 sheets of C/M/Y coatings on film with proper sensitization, so that I can superpose them and prove the concept. This was how Mannes and Godowsky got started. If it works, the final formula will be in the book. (Well, an outline of a thought experiment is there already, but having the real thing will be better)!!!! Don't you agree?

Anyhow. One emulsion in the can needing about 10 experiments to find out the "sweet spot", one emulsion (t-grain) to make in a few weeks, and the color emulsion when I get the chemicals.

Oh, I have worked up a cubic bromide emulsion and was wondering if anyone thinks that should be in the book as well. Opinions welcome.

I'm still working.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This all sounds fantastic, Ron.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds fantastic. I'm very pleased that you have decided to include the basic concept for color materials.

Cubic emulsions are used in low-speed, very fine grained print films, correct? It might be quite interesting too. Having many choices is a good thing so why not, if you have it ready. It would also demonstrate the differences in making as an example.

Keep going!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What is the current shelf life of the emulsions you are using, Ron? And will this work for plates as well as paper emulsions?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HRST;

Cubics can have any use you want, depending on size and Iodide content!

Chris;

Current emulsions keep for a year or so in the fridge and gelatin keeps for about 6 months. The new stabilizer (not Thymol) will extend that by up to a year at minimum. This assumes about 4 - 10 deg C. You should not freeze an emulsion or gelatin in water.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Awesome! Seriously PE, your a hero.

Just wondering, how long lived is the images made from c/m/y as you describe? I wish you the best of luck making it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, Ron, you are doing a great job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alexhill View Post
    Awesome! Seriously PE, your a hero.

Just wondering, how long lived is the images made from c/m/y as you describe? I wish you the best of luck making it
    I will be using an Azo dye, so it will be on the order of Ciba/Ilfochrome. If it works that is! I may fail.

In addition, it will probably have to be coated on film or Yupo (or similar) as they are the only supports that will survive the dye bleach process.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Outstanding news, Ron!

I'd like to see the all of this new work included in the book. Gives us much more to experiment with, for certain. Who knows where this will all lead....

Bob M.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd rather see the B&W emulsions finished and any color emulsions could be in Volume II. There's a lot of color theory that should be added to a second volume in addition to just how to make a color emulsion.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 06-03-2010 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin