Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 837

Shooter
    35mm RF

coating methods for paper and ceramic tiles, first results

this is my first one in this forum, but i think i will like it here.

after my first few attempts with liquid emulsions on vat boards and ceramic tiles some questions are rising up for me. Although i know that this way of making a print gives you non repeatable results most of the time, i would like to try to understand how all the factors work together. I feel there are lots of interesting possibilies in this photographic process with liquid emulsion.

for instance: the coating technique for the synthetic resin paint i use for the ceramic tiles ( i used a 4cm brush for a 20x20cm tile) seems to influence how the emulsion spreads on the surface. the effect is somewhat trashy but nevertheless really interesting since it adds feeling to the picture. i also have different results from coating the tile with the emulsion if i either use a brush or a rubber roller (for woodcuts normally). most strangely, i have produced distinctive areas in the picture that are unsharp but which should normally render sharp in the print. i still have not figuered out yet if this is a matter of the paint or of the emulsion.

i will post some samples in the next days so my words will make more sense.

my question is: how do you coat your ceramics, (eg. brush, spray paint, dipping etc.) and what do you use to apply emulsion to the surface and how much of that white pudding is on your photographs.

i use "lighthouse" emulsion with tetenal dokumol 1+9

here is a repro of one 20x20cm tile:

how long do you develope and fix your image? do you use a stopping bath with acid or just water?

cheers, and a good weekend!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great image! I don't know if that's what you were after, but that's the neat thing about liquid emulsion. I have only tried it on paper. At first I was dissapointed in the brush marks and unevenness. After looking at them for a while, I find them more attractive every day. For ceramic tile, I would think you would have to use the pour and glass rod method like used for wet plates.
    There are a couple of my 'Liquid Light' prints in my gallery and on my web site as examples.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm RF

thanks for the advice...

... with the glass rod. i just tried that. and it looks like it works very nicely..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin