Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,670   Online: 1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Sulfonic Acid Dye for 2 Color Kodak Process

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...lm-patent.html

If you look my thread , you find 1910s two color kodak film patents and it says salt of sulfonic acid dye for green and orange.

Patents are for skilled people and I want to learn more from you.

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most dyes at that time were based on sulfonic acids and they were easy to incorporate into photographic materials.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I found that at 1921 , sulfonic acid is patented as a low light condition latent image developer.
    Patent number is 1370896

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron , is there any contact person you know from Kodak who will be able to give me the correct recipe of green and brownish yellow sulfonic acid dyes preparation ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. This is so obsolete it is virtually unknown. Ciba uses Sulfonic acid based Azo dyes for Ilfochrome. You might try them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron , I searched the internet and there are tens may be hundreds of sulfonic acid green formulas.
    Is it possible to reach , buy a short strip of these green , orange films and analysis ? Its single chemical not a soup like a developer . But is there any this kind of antiques dealers you know ? I ask everyone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I learned that series of dye chemistry books published by kodak starting from 1920. I have 1940 book and found interesting chemicals related to sulfonates.
    I need 1920 book. I think it will solve all the problems. I asked to Eastman House also.
    Sulfonates are the name of salts of sulfonic acids.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most all azo dyes manufactured today for use in water solution are Sulfonates. I have no other information on the spectra or use of them in film, as such use was restricted to either Dye Transfer or Ciba/Ilfochrome since about 1940.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Filing day is 1914 and its about color photography , two color process and sulfonates.
    It is as you said the sulfonate formula might be water soluble because it says rinse the film with water after applying dyes. I will look to archive org for 1920 book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mustafa;

Often, mordants were used to hold sulfonic acid dyes in place. Sometimes Calcium Aluminum or Magnesium salts were used as a mordant but in some cases, even gelatin itself served as a mordant. This is the same way a sulfonic acid dye is held fast in cloth!

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin