Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,999   Online: 832

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Anyone Using Paristalic Pumps

Hi All,
    First of all, good work hrst!
    As for me, I am not doing any "wet work" until September. I am doing a lot of work with various hardware and wonder if anyone is currently making emulsions using peristaltic pumps. I bought some pumps way back when ,but never got around to trying them out. Now is a good time for me to get set up to try them in September.
    PE-Any advise? Is this covered at all in your book?
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Ron has such a set up. He had a bitch of a time sourcing the tubing - well actually getting any chem supply house to sell it to an individual.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Hi All,
    First of all, good work hrst!
    As for me, I am not doing any "wet work" until September. I am doing a lot of work with various hardware and wonder if anyone is currently making emulsions using peristaltic pumps. I bought some pumps way back when ,but never got around to trying them out. Now is a good time for me to get set up to try them in September.
    PE-Any advise? Is this covered at all in your book?
    Bill
    Re: your reference to his book, what book would that be?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    He is in the final stages of writing one.( I think )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    He is in the final stages of writing one.( I think )
    Thanks.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

Tygon tubing must be selected according to the size of the head. The tubing is numbered to fit every size head unless you have a universal type head.

Go here to select: http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...x.asp?cls=8071
    Go here to order: http://www.espchemicals.com/about.cfm?&DID=19 and speak to Phil.

If you get the wrong size tubing for a non-universal head, it will not work.

You must calibrate the pump/tubing combination first to turn rpms/minute into ml/minute.

And yes, it will be in the book and the DVD. That is part of what delayed the book. My friends suggested adding that chapter to the book and DVD. I did the DVD portion first and then the book which is in revision #5 and here on my stack of work being done.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We are experimenting with them at work at the moment. I need to make a sixteen head dispensing system for UV cured optically clear resin.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - I have two pumps that I've been working with, and I've used others in the labs at work. What brand/model of pump are you working with. The types of tubing available varies widely depending on the model of pump.

Also, there's a lot more than just tygon tubing available - depending on the pump.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk,
    I have an IMED Gemini PC-2tx and a Hamilton micro lab 900. I have not been able to pinpoint the gauge of tubing for either one. But I did find everything else that anyone could ever want to know about the Imed.
    On Monday I will call the companies and try to find out the tubing type and gauge. They are both double pumps for delivering two fluids simultaneously, at different flow rates.
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill -

I've not used either of those pumps, but the IMED is a medical pump and it probably would be happy with tygon or similar tubing that is about 1/8th inch OD. Depending on the ID, you would get different flow rates. Online I see where it can pump at 0.1-999 ml/hr, which is 0.002-16.65 ml/min. On diameter of tubing may not cover that entire range, you'll have to test the tubing you get and see.

Isn't the Hamilton Microlab 900 a syringe pump? If so, then it's not a peristaltic pump and you can probably vary syringes on it to vary the pump rate. Keep in mind it will not have a constant flow like a peristaltic pump if it only has a single syringe.

I've got some tubing you can try if you want me to send some. Send me your address and I'll send something off this week.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin