Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,418   Online: 915

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is anyone using sensitizers in their emulsions?

Just curious.

I've finally delved into photo chemistry with George T. Eaton's "Photographic Chemistry", and also Friedman's "History of Color Photography" (thanks PE) and it just got me thinking about the strange folks that hang out on this forum. My last chemistry experience was in 9th grade, so this is basically all new to me.

I read F.E. Ives 'Autobiography of an Amateur Inventor" and he had a seemingly simple means for producing panchromatic (or at least more sensitive than usual) plates by making a tincture from some kind of plant, and coating it on the plate. The sensitizer was chlorophyll. It seemed like such a simple and elegant method.

Anywhoo, just hoping to start some discussion.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do some searching here. PE and Bill have had some lengthy discussions on sensitizers. Bill even played with Chlorophyll last year.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a rather longish thread on this lurking somewhere.

Basically, common Ivy can be used to extract the chlorophyll into alcohol (Everclear) and it can be used to generate a weak sensitization in the red region. Along with Erythrosine you get green and thus Pan sensitivity. These are two common approaches. A company called H. Sands in Titusville Fla. makes "real" photographic sensitizing dyes at about $100 / teeny tiny bottle of about 100 mg - 1 g depending on the dye.

Chlorophyll solution does not keep well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool. Sorry, I should've searched first... I'll do that now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Basically, common Ivy can be used to extract the chlorophyll into alcohol (Everclear)
    Spinach is a common source for extracting chlorophyll. Grind/mash the leaves up a bit before extraction. Store extracts in a freezer.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doing some searching, I just came across anthotypes. This is new to me and most interesting!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A company called H. Sands in Titusville Fla. makes "real" photographic sensitizing dyes at about $100 / teeny tiny bottle of about 100 mg - 1 g depending on th

PE[/QUOTE]

PE- Sands must not like me as much as they like you! I paid $150/gram bottle plus a hefty "convenience fee".
    Chlorophyll from spinach really did not pan out that well for me. I may return to it someday. I did get a kinda - sorta panchro-ish emulsion combining the chlorophyll with a red dye extracted from beetles. So much mess, I might as well have made my own gelatin from raw cow skin.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A company called H. Sands in Titusville Fla. makes "real" photographic sensitizing dyes...PE
    Unless they have moved, I think Sands is still on Jupiter
    Titusville is where I enjoyed high school....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin