Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,792   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Medium Format

possible idea for a small scale multiple output pump

I don't know if this has been discussed before -- a search here on the forum didn't turn up anything.

A possible idea for a small scale multiple output pump could be to use a section of a ball screw -- say about 3 to 4 inches, and along the length of the section (or around the circumference), position flexible tubing of different diameters delivering solutions needed at the rates intended. Position the arrangement inside a section of steel tubing, with different sized spacers (depending on the tubing diameter) between the steel outer tubing and the flex tubes delivering needed solutions. This will allow the threads of the ball screw section to apply pressure along the length of the flex tubes much like a peristaltic pump, only with a smoother flow (ahead of adding back pressure), and use one pump to deliver 'x' number of solutions simultaneously. The picture I attached shows an example of what a ball screw looks like (just the threaded portion -- disregard the piece surrounding it). You would need to choose the pitch, etc of the ball screw so as not to pinch the flex tube across too narrow a length. You could mount the pump and drive the screw section in different ways, depending on your setup.

Whether this has any real world practical use in a small scale emulsion kettle I didn't get to yet. I am pretty much throwing the idea out there for the members to look at. I am sure it can be improved upon. I will post a diagram of the original form of this contraption shortly.

Your thoughts?

Bob M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ball screw 5.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In a recent thread about pumps I posted that I was experimenting with peristaltic pumps to dispense UV cure encapsulant. We have no moved on to syringe pumps. These devices move a syringe a pre-programmed distance and therefore can dispense an accurate amount of fluid.

The clever bit is coupling it with a double check valve so that pushing the plunger in dispenses and pulling the plunger out fills the syringe from a supply tank.

This sort of thing: http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/catalog/...sp?sku=7490045

And these are the valves: http://www.westgroup.co.uk/subcatpdf/M%20VP%20CHECK.PDF

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin