Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,855   Online: 993

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Methanol is bad stuff, quite toxic. You should minimize your exposure, or better yet avoid it altogether if you can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Hey. that's my copy of Wall!

Bill, I read it as page 188 in Wall's book.

I have a better copy up there that can be downloaded now at:
    http://www.keyesphoto.com/KDKtech%20...Emulsions.html
    It's 12.5 Megs in size, but the graphics and text are much better in quality that the previous pdf I had made.

If you have the previous version I put up there, I highly recommend downloading the new one.

The one at the top of the page, The Photographic Emulsion, is almost all scanned and posted. It's particularly excellent.

PS - I love Eleanor Ribgy as well.
    The new version looks great. Thanks. I've updated the link from TLF.

For anyone who's interested in the old literature, there are a number of e-reads here: http://thelightfarm.com/Map/Literatu...eListPart1.htm.

The one at the top of the page, The Photographic Emulsion, is almost all scanned and posted. It's particularly excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you treat it properly and use proper safety equipment methanol is managable.

I use it in my day job (winter) to thaw the ice out frozen natural gas lines. We use it 5 gallons at a shot.

It's actually a fuel used in racing here and there. Think of how you might deal with a can of gasoline, that would be similar in how you might deal with methanol.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gasoline reacts with liver and kidneys whereas methanol reacts with brain and nerves. So, take your pick.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Think of how you might deal with a can of gasoline, that would be similar in how you might deal with methanol.
    You mean get a high-school drop-out to handle it for me? (I live in Oregon where we can't be trusted to pump our own gas. And I don't mind that when it's 100F or 20F outside.)
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gasoline reacts with liver and kidneys whereas methanol reacts with brain and nerves. So, take your pick.

PE
    Indeed, neither is harmless and care is required. Your point is quite valid.

The scary thing with either (actually with most risky things) is actually the nuts around us.

I regularly see mini mart employees step out of the store while I'm filling the gas tank, to light up and smoke, so as not to bother the customers inside; problem is that now they are standing 10 feet from my gas pump that pumping out a cloud of flammable vapor.

Second hand smoke or possible explosion and fire, take your pick. Fire plus gasoline is bad, we all know this so I tend to get belligerent now when this happens.

Cell Phones, same issue; static cling on that fancy sweater, same issue. I'm a bit more PC with these issues because people don't know the risks.

My point here is that most of us still buy gas and fill our lawn mowers from cans without wearing rubber gloves, chemical goggles, and aprons. If you are wearing all that fun stuff, methanol is manageable.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Indeed, neither is harmless and care is required. Your point is quite valid.

The scary thing with either (actually with most risky things) is actually the nuts around us.

I regularly see mini mart employees step out of the store while I'm filling the gas tank, to light up and smoke, so as not to bother the customers inside; problem is that now they are standing 10 feet from my gas pump that pumping out a cloud of flammable vapor.

Second hand smoke or possible explosion and fire, take your pick. Fire plus gasoline is bad, we all know this so I tend to get belligerent now when this happens.

Cell Phones, same issue; static cling on that fancy sweater, same issue. I'm a bit more PC with these issues because people don't know the risks.

My point here is that most of us still buy gas and fill our lawn mowers from cans without wearing rubber gloves, chemical goggles, and aprons. If you are wearing all that fun stuff, methanol is manageable.
    yeah

we have guys that drive the "blue rhino" propane trucks andy capin' a cigarette
    while making deliveries ( where's hank hill ?! ),
    people yapping away on their cell while smoking and pumping gas
    AND people feeding their pooch ( who is on the front dash ) chips ( mouth to mouth ) while DRIVING ..

nuts that's an understatement !

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Blue Rhino"? Isn't that a "strip" club? Volatile indeed. And potentially harmful to ones health?
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was pouring Methanol from a 4L bottle into a reactor flask when a spark ignited it. A flame about 2M long came out of the bottle along with a deep bass roar. I'm lucky the bottle did not break as it was nearly full.

The flame went out and I shook for about 10 mins.

Be careful. Methanol has a low boiling point and can ignite easily.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I can speak from experience: Do not use meths as bbq starter!
    - Ian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin