Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,982   Online: 734

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Large Qontities of Methanol

Hello to All,
    While I am not usually overly cautious about the toxic chemicals used by most of us who make emulsions, the use of warmed methanol for coating concerns me. The recipes referenced for subbing of di-acetate for emulsion coating call for methanol. Denice- Is that what you use? Could one not use ethanol? I would rather get drunk than blind , although neither would be my preference.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Methanol has very different solvent properties when compared to Ethanol. For example, methanol is great for removing urethane foam goo, ethanol isn't.

But, who knows... Methanol is much, much cheaper (and purer, viz denatured ethanol) as an industrial chemical but Everclear may work fine.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are several formulas for subbing of acetate. I would try to find one of those. I don't have any offhand, and it would take me days to find a suitable mixture, if you are willing to wait.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE,
    I was referring to a specific recipe, on p.187 of Wall's 1929 book. This is specified by Denise on her website Thelightfarm.com. I am hoping that she will chime in here.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My copy of Wall from 1929 gives no subbing formulas on that page nor anything near that page.

I have found several formulas in Baker that use Methanol, but I remember one from way back that used acetic acid and amyl alcohol. I could not find it tonight and I'm off on another wild project that will take up some time. Try an e-mail to Denise.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am sorry PE. But I SWEAR it is there! Lest you all think that I am Crazy, I am referring to the edition of Wall that Kirk has on his website www.keyesphoto.com. Really, its there, it really is. It really,really is there. I know its there. I am in love with Elanor Rigbie. Father McInzy can't have her...............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're not crazy, Bill! http://thelightfarm.com/Map/BitsAndP...ulsionBlog.htm (go about 2/3 down).

This recipe works very, very well. I'm not afraid of the methanol. I stir the mix together right under the intake of my ventilation hood. But, really, the acetone or the acetic acid would probably be more of a concern if I went around breathing deeply of photo chemicals.

Some more info on the making of, and the working with, handmade acetate film negatives is near the top of my list of new 'stuff' to post on the Light Farm this fall. I hope everyone who's even the least bit interested gives it a try -- dirt cheap and the materials have little chance of disappearing on us. It's my idea of a perfect craft. Easy entry and satisfying right off the bat, but perfecting the nuances is enough of a challenge to hold the interest.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Denise,
    I have decided to try acetate because it will probably be more useful to other people than glass. As for me, my favorite camera,the Devin Colorgraph 5x7 is really designed for glass negatives. And,well, I just love glass!
    I thought that it was not possible for me to become more clumsy than I was before I started working in total darkness. But my night vision monacle leaves much to be desired in the area of depth-perception. Its hard to find the center of a 5x7 glass plate when I am pouring plates. I will leave the details to your imagination
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    PE,
    I was referring to a specific recipe, on p.187 of Wall's 1929 book. This is specified by Denise on her website Thelightfarm.com. I am hoping that she will chime in here.
    Bill
    Hey. that's my copy of Wall!

Bill, I read it as page 188 in Wall's book.

I have a better copy up there that can be downloaded now at:
    http://www.keyesphoto.com/KDKtech%20...Emulsions.html
    It's 12.5 Megs in size, but the graphics and text are much better in quality that the previous pdf I had made.

If you have the previous version I put up there, I highly recommend downloading the new one.

PS - I love Eleanor Ribgy as well.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 08-18-2010 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - don't worry about the methanol too much. While is it toxic, it's pretty easy to work with. Like Denise said, use good ventilation when working with it. But don't forget to put your cigarette out before working with methanol!

Side note - Sammy Davis Jr. crashed his car in 1959 on the way to Palm Springs. That's when he lost his eye. I heard he was drunk after drinking Sterno - a mixture of ethanol and methanol... So Bill, don't drink it and drive to Palm Springs!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin