Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,837   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    Rebalanced?
    Ray;

Any rapidly rotating object must be in perfect balanced. Just as you balance the tires on your car or other similar objects, this high speed turbine must be balanced to prevent wobble or vibration at working speeds.

If you do not, the the wobble or vibration induced by the imbalance will be detrimental to your health by throwing the moving parts all over the place.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ray;

Any rapidly rotating object must be in perfect balanced. Just as you balance the tires on your car or other similar objects, this high speed turbine must be balanced to prevent wobble or vibration at working speeds.

If you do not, the the wobble or vibration induced by the imbalance will be detrimental to your health by throwing the moving parts all over the place.

PE
    Is the balance "adjustible"... or does it have to be reground or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    Is the balance "adjustible"... or does it have to be reground or something?
    Ray;

This is done in much the same fashion as with other similar rotating machinery such as fans and tires, but unlike tires there is no wear on these which would change balance. They are more like fan blades.

Stay tuned. It will become clear with time. I am not at that point yet by any means. I am just at the point of testing and proving the adjustment is needed, I am not at the stage of even determining if it is harmful or what the speed limitation is (if any) let alone doing it, let alone having the designer do the adjustment.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking forward to the photos PE.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Results and photos

To cross reference the thread on the shrouded turbine (not the Shroud of Turin ), I now have some results to compare with the reference there to my friend Ingo's web site, referenced in that thread.

I have now compared a shrouded turbine (PEPA) mixer with a propeller mixer and have the following pictures taken at 2000 RPM. The left photo is a propeller and the right is a Planar Emulsion Precipitation Apparatus (PEPA), both at the same speed. You can see the difference visually. To make them visually the same with respect to turbulence it is necessary to reduce prop speed to about 900 - 950 RPM or about 50% of the speed of the PEPA.

The prop mixer directs an approximately cylindrical vortex downward to the bottom and then upwards to create a "V" in the beaker. The PEPA creates a horizontal "T" vortex with 2 random cylinders that mix more effectively with less entrained air.

I now plan on making some complex emulsions that will benefit from the better mixing supplied by the PEPA.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prop no baffle 2000.jpg   pepa no baffle 2000.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Off-Center Questions...

Re prop pix:
    What is the thing that looks like scotch tape on the beaker ?
    Is it the same thing that is resting on the rod on top?

What is the Beaker size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing that looks like scotch tape is scotch tape!

The rod is a stainless steel rod with clips for other experiments being conducted at the same time. The tape is holding the rod. The entire experiment and many more photos will be in the book.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing that looks like scotch tape is scotch tape!

PE
    That explains the Remarkable Similarity.

Is that a 2 liter beaker?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a 1 L heavyweight pyrex glass beaker with about 800 ml of water held at 20 deg C. Food dye was added to the water for visibility. The PEPA is custom built and the prop mixer is an off the shelf item. The Scotch tape was the wide version taken from a 3 pack. The tape had just been opened. The mixer is clamped to a standard heavy duty ring stand. Power leads go to the rear. The prop mixer is on the base of the ring stand on the right in the second photo. Both photos are digital images that were cropped to size for uploading and to remove extraneous material such as the pump which can be partially seen on the left of the photos. A sheet of white backing paper was used to block shelves and other equipment such as pH meters, test solutions, more beakers and a timer. That was just clutter that was not needed for this purpose.

Is that enough information Ray? I can look up the time and date stamp of the images if you wish.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is that enough information Ray? I can look up the time and date stamp of the images if you wish.

PE

Excellent!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin