Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,241   Online: 899

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used a china brush and masked edges. I try to leave streaks close to the edges. I have some trouble "letting go". I like that you let your brushwork show. Yeah, the Kentmere just had a whole lot better tonal range for when you don't want an image so "soft". It was really like thick cream. No idea of the difference between it and other emulsions as far as contents. Nor what made it a "VC" emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell View Post
    No idea of the difference between it and other emulsions as far as contents. Nor what made it a "VC" emulsion.
    You mean it didn't work well for changing contrast using contrast filters?

Black Magic VC does work like a variable contrast emulsion. I think the documentation says it is something like inbetween grade 1-4 that you can vary contrast, so quite useful in most cases, and I definitely did make use of the VC properties of the Black Magic in printing some images.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, it was a great VC emulsion. I just don't know how this is accomplished from a technical standpoint. Either with liquid emulsions or traditional papers.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell View Post
    I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find it. In the past I have used the Kentmere (formerly Luminos) emulsion and found that there is no equal in pre-made emulsions. Is there an equal product by another manufacturer and if not, what is the expense and learning curve (on a scale of 1-10) for a complete noob. I appreciate any help in this matter because my Kentmere supply is gone and I'm in mourning.
    I have said it before, but I'll tell again:

I used to use the Kemtmere SE emulsion - great product.
    Then I stumbled over the FOMA emulsion, and I have never looked back since!

It is not a ario contrast emulsion, but it is highly sensitive to different developers, so in fact you can get any contrast you need.

Another good point for me was, that it is much, much cheaper!

Cheaper, and better?

for my images, yes.

By the way: the learning curve is steep...

SO easy to use!
    You need two layers of emulsion on the paper - this helps a lot, if you want an evenly coated emulsion.
    Last edited by gandolfi; 10-12-2010 at 11:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add inf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin