Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,882   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why I use Photo Flo 200

The attached pictures show why! I am taking HRSTs advice!

Kodak had patented an addendum that increases speed and contrast of a given emulsion. The pictures below show examples of an AgBr emulsion with 3% Iodide and a Sulfur finish that compare surfactant X and Photo Flo 200 used as surfactant.

The results show that there is an ingredient in Photo Flo that is covered in that patent (well, I knew that ) ! The results are about 1/2 stop in speed and about 1/2 grade of contrast. These two photos were identically exposed and processed.

This does NOT work with several other emulsions that I tried, but it does work with this one on a repeatable basis. There are several other compounds that do the same. I hope to report on them as well.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AgBr Enlarging paper without PF.jpg   AgBr Enlarging paper with PF.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! Interesting. Was the surfactant added just before coating? How can it cause an increase in speed like this? And why is this compound in Photo Flo 200 in the first place?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is added as a normal surfactant just before coating. It is used at the normal level. If it is not, then coating defects result.

IDK why it causes the effect. It is a development accelerator though, and that is all that I know. I was directed to the patent by a friend after I observed the effect. It can be attributed to either Poly alcohols and / or poly ethers. I have no more information at this time, but hope to get some at the end of the month at our next GEH lunch.

See what happens when I take advice? More work for me!

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE,
    Isn't Photo Flo 200 diluted Triton X200? I remember looking at the structure of the latter ( in Sigma-Aldrich, I think). It has 1 sulfur atom. Perhaps this is a source for acceleration. Just a thought from a rank amateur.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have use Photo Flo 200, like it very much!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo Flo 200 contains Triton X 100 plus several other ingredients. It contains no Sulfur atoms.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is really neat. Thanks for this and all your other posts.

Regards
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what are we saying here? That the use of photoflo increases the apparent film speed after the fact? Or is just an emulsion coating related property?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An emulsion coating property AFAIK. If it works after the fact, that is a bonus!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is interesting! I've got to coat some glass soon, so I'd like to give this a try. how are you applying the photoflow to the glass?

I'll take a guess. Clean the glass, the submerge in photoflow (mixed to the right dilution) then let dry before coating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin