Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,355   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Emulsion making syringe pump teaser

We are currently building this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHc5v-lulGY

This will first allow simple, traditional profiles, with adjustable waiting times, different delivery slopes (constant flow, linear, logarithmic or exponential rises/falls). Later, when connected to vAg sensor and PC, more advanced runs will be possible.

We have made designs for mechanical part and soon we'll build it. Coming soon..!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    HRST,

Excellent work!! Very impressive.

Please keep us updated on the construction of the project.

If all works out can you make your source code available and PCB files?

Many Thanks from,

Emulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    We are currently building this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHc5v-lulGY

This will first allow simple, traditional profiles, with adjustable waiting times, different delivery slopes (constant flow, linear, logarithmic or exponential rises/falls). Later, when connected to vAg sensor and PC, more advanced runs will be possible.

We have made designs for mechanical part and soon we'll build it. Coming soon..!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes of course, PCB masks (two-sided) and C code (currently over 2000 lines) for Atmel ATMega640 will be available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful. Congratulations.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's cool!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just made my first syringe-pumped emulsion, using this controller and a prototype mechanics. It was actually just a single-run (silver nitrate run from a single syringe), but I'm really surprised how easy and nice the procedure was. Actually I was browsing Internet in the next room most of the time while the syringe pump made the emulsion for me . The silver solution for 150 ml of emulsion fit nicely in one 50ml syringe, and the pump controller took care of additions, waiting between additions etc.

Then, I quickly chilled the emulsion on my newest invention, AntiStove, which is just like electric stove but it cools down by using Peltier elements. . Maybe I have to automate washing next, now it's the most tedious phase left!

I went to Photograde cow bone gelatin (from Photoformulary), left the ammonia out as a test (to reduce the odor), increased the temperature from 42 to 50, otherwise using the same bromo-iodide formula I've used before, with Jim Browning's dye transfer matrix film silver addition profile. This resulted in a fogless, nice around 1 ISO emulsion (completely unsensitized).

My actual purpose in addition to testing my new equipment and photograde gelatin, was to try using Congo Red (cheap indicator grade) in methanol (it seems to form a fine colloid or dispersion at 1% both in water or alcohols) as a green sensitizer. I added 200 mg/mol(Ag) (because the dye content is 40% in indicator grade) and stirred at 45 degC for 10 minutes and coated instantly after, but didn't notice any sensitivity rise in green region --- exposure to yellow light from enlarger resulted in 3 stops underexposed test, just like with unsensitized one. I'll try higher amount (this emulsion is probably quite fine-grained with high grain surface area) and longer treatment next. Replacing erythrosine with something that can be added in the finals would be nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good step forward. Our emulsion making was fully automated as you describe. So, I am used to it!

Congo Red can be used for the Dye Bleach process as an imaging dye, but it is not a sensitizing dye at all. Compare the structure of it with those in Mees or Mees and James. You will see that Congo Red is an Azo dye, where as sensitizing dyes are mainly Cyanine, Merocyanine or Carbocyanine dyes. The number of C=C bonds in the chain determine the region of the spectrum in which the sensitizing dye operates.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, that's interesting. I picked Congo Red up as it was listed especially as a sensitizing dye somewhere, but I can't remember anymore where it was. It being an azo dye indeed bugged me a bit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin