Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,316   Online: 960

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The obvious answer here is try cyanotypes. Mix potassium ferricyanide with ferric ammonium citrate in distilled water. Coat some paper with the solution, and wait for it to dry. Get a negative the size of print you wish to make and put the negative on the paper, then place the two in the sun, or other ultraviolet light source. Depending on your negative, exposure time is 10 minutes, to three hours. Practice makes perfect. No silver involved. It's iron based. The resulting image is very stable if kept out of direct sunlight. The particles are actually called Prussian Blue. But, you do have to deal with blue images.
    Last edited by charles west; 07-23-2012 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I mix 10 grams ferric ammonium citrate in 35ml distilled water, then 4 grams potassium ferricyanide in 35ml distilled water. Store in separate containers and keep the containers in a dark drawer. When you want to make some prints, mix equal amounts of the two solutions together. The chemicals are cheap. 100 grams of ferric ammonium citrate is around $12.00 dollars U.S. A pound of potassium ferricyanide is around $15.00 U.S. That'll make many hundreds of 8x10 inch prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The obvious answer is not always the best.

How about speed and spectral sensitivity.

How about a lot of other things!!!!?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What other things? He asked for processes other than silver. I gave him a suggestion.

http://www.alternativephotography.co...lassic-process
    Look it up. Not going to type five pages of information that's everywhere already typed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, those blue images are amazing, made me look up cyanotypes. But is there a process that makes red images??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have made quite a few cyanotypes which require a lot of UV radiation for exposure.

They are very nice, albeit blue, and can be toned to yield other colors.

So, on to the other things. Do you want speed? Do you want to use it in-camera? Do you want to capture the image roughly as the eye would see it? These are things that Silver Halide does for us, so we need to find another method for giving us an all round imaging material, and not just a single purpose imaging material.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    Wow, those blue images are amazing, made me look up cyanotypes. But is there a process that makes red images??
    The reddest images I've seen anywhere were from very lightly gold toned POP paper made by ...I can't remember the name. I think Centennial out of Chicago. But, sadly, I'm not sure they still make paper. When they did, it was only once a year, and they sold out rather quickly.
    You can get redd'ish' tones from straight gold prints, Chrysotypes they're called. But, at this time, they're extremely expensive to produce. Not exactly giving away gold at the moment. Look them up here:
    http://www.alternativephotography.co...sotype-process
    If you're not familiar with at least one hand coated process, start with cyanotypes first, then move on, otherwise you'll go broke rather quickly learning with gold. The learning curve for hand coated processes is steep at the beginning.
    Last edited by charles west; 07-24-2012 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added quote for clarity of post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I have made quite a few cyanotypes which require a lot of UV radiation for exposure.

They are very nice, albeit blue, and can be toned to yield other colors.

So, on to the other things. Do you want speed? Do you want to use it in-camera? Do you want to capture the image roughly as the eye would see it? These are things that Silver Halide does for us, so we need to find another method for giving us an all round imaging material, and not just a single purpose imaging material.

PE
    Get a digital camera. In the original post, nothing you mention is an issue for the poster. It only seems to be an issue for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Ron ,

May be answer is hidden in the depths of Alternative Photography. But I want to ask , is there any chemical invention from Kodak , Agfa or any other , which chemical is available at the market for making non silver based cheaper faraway cheaper emulsions ?

I heard american companies are famous to dig deep inventors. Is there any whisper or patent , you saw , heard and share with us ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul
    Here is the OP. Maybe, you have reading comprehension issues?
    Last edited by charles west; 07-24-2012 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was answering your post #34 relating to other things involved in imaging or imaging qulaity.

I am quite aware of all of the methods of making images other than Silver Halide. More than you might imagine. I was merely pointing out that of all of these methods, Silver Halide offers the most advantages when compared to these others.

You seemed to have missed the point.

Theo OP asked about alternative EMULSIONS, and you have not addressed that point, as Cyanotype is not an emulsion. I did address it in my post about Copper imaging. It is a true photographic emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    *cough cough*

If I may interject...

Those are really beautiful cyanotypes for one. I do know however that Umut is probably looking for something more exotic and esoteric, and of a theoretical vein. Umut is rarely looking for something practicable to do; but is more interested in what's possible in theory. So I think that's the point of view that PE is coming from.

I smelled something getting a little hot and thought I should open a window...

Just my 2¢
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin