Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,503   Online: 829

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill, it's your mustache.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Denise,

noticed the Silver Gelatin book in your literature list. It is now in a reprinted edition. I've found it invaluable for various questions, especially when you don't have a computer handy in the darkroom.

Still reading the curriculum, now on chapter 3.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Denise, Still reading the curriculum, now on chapter 3.
    Excellent! I still hope we can have a meaningful, educational discussion here, but even if that's not in the stars, the book is invaluable on a personal level.

Thanks for the heads-up on Silver Gelatin. It's a great book. I can't seem to find the new (i.e. affordable) reprint, though. The copies I see available on the internet are still in the >$100 range. The book should definitely be in everyone's library, so I'll post a notice asap after I see good prices.

I'm in the process of reworking the literature list. Like everything else on TLF, it's gotten big and unwieldy. It will soon be alphabetized, and sorted into categories around accessibility, particularly the titles available as Google books and/or TLF books.

I'm taking the 'big and unwieldy' issue seriously. I have a boatload of new recipes and related information waiting for posting until I figure out the best ways not only to make TLF maximally usable, and also to make it easier to maintain the site. Html-crunching has got to be one of the curses of the modern age .

On related notes: Over the weekend, I posted the searchable .pdf that Terry Holsinger made of The Photographic Emulsion.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Lite...eListPart1.htm.

Also, I recently added a new section to TLF on old technical booklets. They are very well worth reading. (For anyone interested in this sort of thing, of course )

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Book...kletsPart1.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if the book is exclusive to Silverprint, but at £20, it seems a bit better than $100. Possibly, the shipping from UK kills the deal, I don't know. As far as I can see, it is a straight reprint.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product....asp?PrGrp=163

Once upon a time I was a html-crunching slave... with a less than perfect typing speed too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course! Go to the source. (Stage direction: bang head on desk ) I'll update my lit list.

Search engines are mysterious beasts. I wonder what it takes to get the new version of Silver Gelatin to come up on Google. I hope it's not a problem that's about to get worse.

Congratulations on escaping your html slavery! Escaping computers, in general, is an intriguing thought. I was adding up the time in a week that disappears in front of a monitor, and I'm considering leaving the monster turned off most of the time. Doubt I could follow through on it, but still... 'intriguing thought'.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Isaac Asimov
    Kirk

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Computers-Good. Cellphones-Bad.Email - Good. Cellphones-Bad.

My title says what I intend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - those are my feeling exactly.

Have you notice that todays kids (Yes, I guess I'm officially an "old guy" now) don't wear wrist watches - they look to their cell phones instead of thier watch?
    Kirk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk-I am so old that I still refuse to carry a cellphone. I am not available to anyone and everyone 24/7. A bee in a hive.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, All. I hope everyone had a nice Solstice.

Quick note: I've finished the re-tooling of the Light Farm literature list. http://thelightfarm.com/Map/Literatu...eListPart1.htm, including the search'able The Photographic Emulsion, provided by Terry Holsinger. I'll ask a favor, if I may. I've tried to find all titles that are available as free reads on the computer, and/or reprints. If you happen upon any I've missed, could you let me know? More and more titles come up all the time.

Bill and Kirk: You're behind the times. The lines have blurred to invisibility between computer browser, email, telephone, camera, clock, and calculator. All one little magic box. No 'fear' here, but I do admit to a doubletake when I see someone stroking their phone like Gollum with his 'precious' .

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin