Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,152   Online: 979

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I remember from reading the later editions of Emil Mayers' work about bromoils, that in the mid-late 1920s he still referred to gelatin and its colloidal properties as a science field in advance. All of this goes a bit beyond what I am able to understand but it is interesting nonetheless.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some quotes from Wall:

"As a means of spending money it [emulsion making] is only equalled by dabbling in stocks." and ".. to turn out good results in a darkroom that has been used for ordinary operations of development and fixing is utterly hopeless."

Neither of these is correct! I hope that puts Wall in perspective!

In addition, the back of the book is completed by several ads for photographic gelatins.

I have posted here, tests with 2 types of photograde gelatin showing the big differences in speed, fog and the effects of heat treatment. It still behooves one to test the materials they use when they change batches. But then, if you mix your own processing solutions I would suggest tests as well for some ingredients.

I've found that albumen papers are harder to make than Silver Halide papers due to the egg beating and keeping of the albumen.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    But today, if you want it, you need to make it.
    Perfect!

The really nice thing about being a photographer today is all our options. We can crack eggs or hardly lift a finger. My son sent me the nicest images of the San Francisco farmers market you could ask for. He just aimed his phone at a cart of persimmons and pears and sent the picture to me by email! Can you even imagine what our predecessors would have thought of that? Probably a combination of 'that's a miracle' and 'well, where's the fun in that?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "As a means of spending money it [emulsion making] is only equalled by dabbling in stocks." Now that's a cynic talking of his own dire experiences!

I have not made albumen myself, but I guess contamination of the albumen itself is a big issue.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 12-12-2010 at 01:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for making the book available to others Denise. I've actually had a copy since the mid 1970's and along with the AGFA data from the FIAT report I was able to make some excellent emulsions, which we used commercially.

My take of this book (The Photographic Emulsion) was it was an excellent series of Research papers, investigating aspects of the variables of Emulsion making and a good, informative source which I used when exploring & testing the variables to optimise the emulsions I was making to give the desired characteristics we needed.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Would it be possible to get as a .pdf version so that I could print it? That would make it easier to read, if not understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Would it be possible to get as a .pdf version so that I could print it? That would make it easier to read, if not understand.
    Happens to be, Terry Holsinger has made a pdf version from my scans. He just sent it to me. I'm late on getting out the door for the rest of the day to finish the %&#*! task started yesterday. I'll get Terry's pdf posted tonight or tomorrow am.

Most of you probably know Terry from unblinkingeye fame. Terry made the first contemporary (and excellent!) dry plate negatives that I am aware of.

Thanks Terry!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good job - that was fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Thanks for making the book available to others Denise. I've actually had a copy since the mid 1970's and along with the AGFA data from the FIAT report I was able to make some excellent emulsions, which we used commercially.

My take of this book (The Photographic Emulsion) was it was an excellent series of Research papers, investigating aspects of the variables of Emulsion making and a good, informative source which I used when exploring & testing the variables to optimise the emulsions I was making to give the desired characteristics we needed.

Ian
    Thanks for the affirmation, Ian. I'd love to hear more about your research.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Thanks for the affirmation, Ian. I'd love to hear more about your research.
    Next time I'm back in the UK I'll try & see what notes I can find. I've not looked at them for over 25 years & I'm not sure what I have left but did find some photocopies from books etc.

I can remember the parameters I needed to work on and change, viscosity (the emulsions were sprayed),and then speed and contrast.

Later I ran into a problem when the Active gelatins I used were no longer available, I found my own way of activating Gelatin which worked successfully for my emulsions, using Sulphites.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin