Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,347   Online: 962

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    nor was it made ortho or panchromatic

PE[/QUOTE]

Although there was quite a bit of research done to make a panchro Collodion. Trere are many references to a "near-panchro" collodion.
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I looked around a bit on the 'net and found a dry emulsion collodion recipe which looked interesting at first but then it came around to the usual "dunk it in some ether" in the end anyway. However it was interesting in the sense that it reminded me of an early version of a silver gelatine emulsion. I wasn't aware that the dry version collodion existed.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've often wondered why you don't hear more about dry collodion work. There's a bucket of historical info out there. Carey Lea is a good source, available as a google book. starting on p. 261.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RxK...page&q&f=false

It looks like there are some options that don't involve ether (Unless I'm missing something. I understand next-to-nothing about collodion). ex. 'The Coffee Dry Process' on p. 276.

Re collodion color: Wall writes up pages of details in his 'History of Three Color Photography', 1925.

An aside: I love the history of my copy. It was a gift in 1950 from Eastman Kodak Company Research Laboratory to Dr. J. Eggert at the Photographisches Institut in Zurich. Dr Eggert pasted the letter from Kodak on the inside front cover. The only part of me that seems to want to move this morning is my fingers, so I'll type in the body of the letter

"Dear Dr. Eggert,
    It has recently been brought to our attention by Dr. Spencer that you are desirous of obtaining a copy of Wall's "History of Color Photography", but that you have been unable to obtain one on the Continent. I understand from Dr. Spencer that he also has been unable to find a copy of this book in England.

Upon receipt of Dr. Spencer's letter I inquired of the librarian about the possibility of our having an additional copy of Wall's "History of Photography" which we might send to you. I find here is a copy, and I am very happy to be able to present it to you with the compliments of the Kodak Research Laboratory in the hope that you will find it useful in connection with the work at your Institut.

With kindest personal regards,
    Yours sincerely,

(indecipherable signature) "

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From my late night reading yesterday on the dry collodion, it seems like a case of "too little, too late". It was too slow compared to the wet plates. A few enthusiasts did a lot of experimenting but the professionals never jumped on that train. I saw that Mark Osterman is going to do a workshop on the dry collodion emulsion paper stuff (Aristotype) during next year.

I wonder if the flammable properties of collodion is still there when it is dry? If so, it looks like an interesting combination with paper.

By the way, it is always interesting to know the history of things, like your copy of that book. It lends some character to it. Rather formal english, though.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    "Dear Dr. Eggert,
    It has recently been brought to our attention by Dr. Spencer that you are desirous of obtaining a copy of Wall's "History of Color Photography", but that you have been unable to obtain one on the Continent. I understand from Dr. Spencer that he also has been unable to find a copy of this book in England.

Upon receipt of Dr. Spencer's letter I inquired of the librarian about the possibility of our having an additional copy of Wall's "History of Photography" which we might send to you. I find here is a copy, and I am very happy to be able to present it to you with the compliments of the Kodak Research Laboratory in the hope that you will find it useful in connection with the work at your Institut.

With kindest personal regards,
    Yours sincerely,

(indecipherable signature) "
    That's pretty cool! I love when I get books like that. So far, my best one on photography is merely stamps from the 3M library...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I have a few like that too. I never gave it a thought.

I was sitting in Jack Thirtle's office when the new Mees and James came out. His secretary came in to give it to him and he took the old one off the shelf in his book case. Then he turned to me and said something like "Ron, you want this old thing?" and so I have Jack Thirtle's copy with his "autograph" on the inside. I have Haist with a personal autograph "For old times sake, Grant". More like that. Maybe someday, someone will have some of my books. Of course they will be written by someone else except for my own book.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Maybe someday, someone will have some of my books. Of course they will be written by someone else except for my own book.
    I certainly want your signature in my copy of your book when comes out. And maybe even an inscription if possible!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin