Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,540   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    It's strange - I think I responded to these questions just a few days ago. The book Silver Gelatin says 30 minutes with a hairdryer on cold or 1-2 days without it (it needs to be thoroughly dry). Boxes for Ilford paper would work fine for storing the drying papers. I guess even a Foma box would do.

EDIT: no, I am not going crazy - I had to look it up - I posted in the scandinavian Bromoil thread right before christmas. Whew!
    Put some dessicator in there. The moisture needs to go somewhere, drying will slow down the more humid the air gets in there.

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi again and thanks for your answers;

I used brush and dried the paper/emulsion in empty boxes for photo paper.
    After an hour it was dry enough to add on the second layer.

And there I left it and I hope to play with it tomorrow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The answer to this question is not so easy because it depends on many factors (in addition to temperature and air flow, relative. humidity also the quality and character of the paper, the method of applying the emulsion, hardener content, etc.)

Recomendation from Foma Bohemia for temperature 20 degrees Celsius and relative humidity 40-60%.

minimum 10 hours when emulsion is applyed with brush.
    minimum 6 hours when sprayed. 6 hours for each sprayed layer.

The point is that the emulsion dries not only on the surface. This would cause problems by the use of developer etc.
    Given time can be shortened with a faster flow of dry air when you use hair dryers or the like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to a kitchen shop and bought stacking cooling racks. Not very expensive. I have a cabinet in my darkroom that I put them in with the paper on them. I don't want them to touch or they might stick.
    I leave them a couple of days and have had good success. I use Rockland Colloid Liquid Light, but assume most of these emulsions are similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooling Rack.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After tree dayes I used the paper.
    Some of them were dry enough for use. But a few were to soft and the emulsion rambled (?) in the developer.
    So I gess the emulsion need more time to dry in boxes.

Suppose I need to build a rack.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    CD racks are useful for 4x5 too. People throw them out a lot. I've found them especially useful for students coating plates in large numbers.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    A shoe box works for 4x5 glass plates. The box will warp from the moisture it absorbes overnight so I wrap it in a black cloth. The next day another box replaces it and the first one is allowed to dry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin