Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,713   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Liquid emulsion, time to dry?

I have bought a bottle of liquid emulsion from Foma, and I am going to give it a try.
    (And later I hope to use it for Bromoil)

Any advice how to store the paper for drying after I have coated it with the emulsion?

And how long will it take before it dries?
    (Know it depends on the temperature etc. But as “starting point” as we say here on APUG :-)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I (we) have a "dark darkroom" so here it is easy. (A room for uprolling films and space with a shelve with many shelves. The room has red light but when it is shut, it is pitch black in there..)

If you don't habe that, maybe some cardboard boxes? Or under a table where you can hang a black fabric to minimize light ?

My experience is, that the first layer will dry in about one hour - the second in about two..
    (You can put the second layer on even though the first layer isn't 100% dry - the paper has to look totally matt though...)

have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's strange - I think I responded to these questions just a few days ago. The book Silver Gelatin says 30 minutes with a hairdryer on cold or 1-2 days without it (it needs to be thoroughly dry). Boxes for Ilford paper would work fine for storing the drying papers. I guess even a Foma box would do.

EDIT: no, I am not going crazy - I had to look it up - I posted in the scandinavian Bromoil thread right before christmas. Whew!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    It's strange - I think I responded to these questions just a few days ago. The book Silver Gelatin says 30 minutes with a hairdryer on cold or 1-2 days without it (it needs to be thoroughly dry). Boxes for Ilford paper would work fine for storing the drying papers. I guess even a Foma box would do.

EDIT: no, I am not going crazy - I had to look it up - I posted in the scandinavian Bromoil thread right before christmas. Whew!
    saw that...

1-2 days are more than enough!
    In my experience a couple of hours would suffice.

It all depends on the surface used. The paper I use dries quickly; however if applied on glas or other hard surfaces it can take more than 24 hours....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    saw that...

1-2 days are more than enough!
    In my experience a couple of hours would suffice.

It all depends on the surface used. The paper I use dries quickly; however if applied on glas or other hard surfaces it can take more than 24 hours....
    i have put liquid emulsion on glass ( not foma but liquid light and stuff i made by hand )
    and dried it fast with a hairdryer. i used low but not cool setting with no problems.
    i have tried to use a hairdryer with paper, but it dries to fast and the paper
    curls and buckles .. air dry seems to work much better ...
    but i am using thin paper, perhaps too thin and that is why it gave trouble.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A paper safe would work too, no?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nor in APUG or in life there is seldom only one answer to a question

Jerevan, I saw your answer in the Scandinavian forum. Thanks.

It was Christmas and I got few answers. Perhaps there were second opinions and experiences - and so it was.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, I know; only one answer to a question is rare.

Sometimes, I do a drive-by-reply when in the midst of something else. More often than not, I type an answer and then delete it. And remembering which of the two I did in a certain thread is not always easy.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format

My solution

I built this with a handsaw, about $20 worth of cheap plywood and fairing strips, wood glue and a lot of gaffers tape (to make it light tight).

Works good for drying, but if you are using a gelatin emulsion you have to make sure it sets on a level surface first, otherwise the emulsion creeps to one side, as mine is nowhere close to being level.

A quick coat of spray enamel on the inside kept the dust down. The door folds from the bottom up on a gaffer tape hinge (ghetto, but works) and has a lip that wraps around the outside of the box. To test light tightness I set taped a piece of ortho film inside and set the box in direct summer sun for 6 hours. No exposure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dry-cabinet.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    I built this with a handsaw, about $20 worth of cheap plywood and fairing strips, wood glue and a lot of gaffers tape (to make it light tight).

Works good for drying, but if you are using a gelatin emulsion you have to make sure it sets on a level surface first, otherwise the emulsion creeps to one side, as mine is nowhere close to being level.

A quick coat of spray enamel on the inside kept the dust down. The door folds from the bottom up on a gaffer tape hinge (ghetto, but works) and has a lip that wraps around the outside of the box. To test light tightness I set taped a piece of ortho film inside and set the box in direct summer sun for 6 hours. No exposure.
    that actually looks a lot like ours - ours is much bigger, and the shelves are made of a metal grid (small holes) so the materials can get air from down, while drying.

Also, ours is leveled...

Great thingy - good for emulsion drying, but also for drying fiber based papers and so on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin