Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,364   Online: 1156

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well said dee-double-u

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Time for a "More Impossible Project"...
    Who would buy Kodachrome-like film in 120 and 4x5"? I would.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    Buy it? I've still got a whole brick of 120 in the freezer.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Even if I could never get them processed, I still envy you michaelbsc!

And I feel jealous that you likely have some big Kodachromes to look at in your archives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Answering two questions here:

1. Rem jet is needed as antihalation, as it must be removed in the first step so the red reversal exposure can be made properly. Normal AH layers are not suitable. Second reason is that it is an antistat for motion picture use, and as Kodachrome is also used in-camera as MP stock, it uses rem-jet.

2. Actually, E6 chemicals can be used to process the Kodachrome family of films, but it will take quite a bit of tinkering. I'll explain. You must divide the color developer into 3 parts and add the cyan, magenta and yellow couplers to those 3 parts as outlined in the patent to Bent and Mowrey. There are 3 couplers given there, but others can be used. The problem is getting them and paying for them.

Anyhow after rem-jet removal, you then develop in E6 1st developer, wash, red reexpose, red/cyan develop, wash, blue reexpose, blue/yellow develop, wash, fog and green/magenta develop, wash, then finish with the rest of the E6 process. It is actually that simple and is possible!

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 12-31-2010 at 01:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and don't forget the black & white option:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=48841

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the Possible Project to me ;-)
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    PE, your contributions here are really invaluable. Thank you so much for being around. I hope someday someone will have the opportunity and financial power to make good use of them.

Lionel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lionel;

Thanks. And that is why I do what I do! I'm trying to preserve analog techniques.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

At what cost?

I think this movement by Kittlegraphy over on the Kodachrome site is one beginning of the "More Impossible Project".

The real question is how much would it cost? Remember, Kodachrome has already failed as a consumer commodity.

The first question is whether it failed as a boutique product is because of the lack of interest in Kodachrome or because Kodak is abysmally structured to support a boutique product.

I suspect there's an element of both in the failure. It's true that Kodak, despite it's technical prowess and far reaching organization is not the right structure for manufacturing and selling a boutique film. Love or hate Kodak, and I don't care which, their organizational structure just is *NOT* the right one for that.

So, fast forward to a day in the future, distant or not so, where a small manufacturer is cranking out RonAChrome as started in the beginning of this thread. (Hopefully by then Ron will be out of the barn.) And let's pretend it's coated on a substrate that is stiff enough for use as sheet film.

And let's also pretend that either Kittlegraphy has his line running smoothly, or we've learned how to process it in the kitchen somehow.

What is it going to cost per sheet of 4x5? What if it's packed in 5 sheet packages for $99 US, basically twenty bucks a pop? And you still have to get it processed? So the chemistry for that costs you another $12 for single use? So by the time you've figure in the Hazmat shipping and everything you've got $150 in five images? And you still don't have a final frame-able product to hang on the wall?

Are these outrageous prices? Are these even realistic prices? It's beginning to sound like the prices for Cibachrome. Hell, why not just expose Cibachrome in camera?

I picked these numbers out of thin air, so I don't have anything to justify them other than the experience of running a small business and being constantly shocked at how much it costs to get something out the door. And this is a stab in the dark at making a boutique product in an industry that I have no qualifications to be making anything more than uneducated guesses. I could be off by a factor of who knows how much.

If you were to reduce the volume even more, because folks won't support those prices, you'd be looking at producing alternative process kits that let people coat their own. I have real doubts about that.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin