Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,463   Online: 1249

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Kodachrome type film formula!

At some risk, here is a Kodachrome type film formula for the "last days".

I don't want to be chained in a barn!

In the thread "a real formula" I give an emulsion formula that will make an ISO 25 - 80 emulsion depending on the workers skill and resources. I'll use that as a base to go further.

1. Make 3 emulsions like the one in that thread but use 3 temperatures about 10 - 20 deg C apart. IE, use 40, 60 and 80 deg C for the PPTNs. Then, sensitize each with sulfur or sulfur + gold.

2. You now have 3 emulsions which must be split into 9 jars. Three of them (fast, medium and slow or 80, 60 and 40 deg C makes) will be stored, bu the other 6 will be sensitized spectrally to R and G light. Mixtures of the 3 will be used in each layer. So there will be 3 blues, 3 greens and 3 reds.

3. Find yourself some Rem-Jet backing! Good luck!

4. Coat the red layer (red sensitive) at about 150 mg/ft square of silver using a blend of the three red sensitive emulsions.

5. Coat an interlayer with about 10 mg / ft square of Di-t- octyl HQ. (a scavenger dispersion - see my post on making dispersions....)

6. Coat the magenta (green sensitive layer at about 150 mg / ft square.

7. Coat a mix of yellow CLS silver and 10 mg/ft squre of the HQ dispersion.

8. Coat the unsensitized mix of the 3 emulsions as the blue sensitive layer.

9. Coat a UV absorbing overcoat in gelatin.

10. Go find the couplers and the developing agents and mix the solutions up.

11. Process and adjust the coating and process until you get good color.

Have fun. Don't chain me up in a barn!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I CALLED IT

This thread is now relevant to my interests
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm figuring there's hundreds of rolls of K14 left out there. After all, one guy said he had 400 himself left over.

For that matter I've got a brick of 120 K-14 left.

So how to process it as a small batch would be the first thing we'd really need.

I have been thinking of how one might build a small container to abrade the Rem-jet off.

The first development can't be hard. Its just a B&W developer.

The rest is a mystery to me. But it has to be doable even if it isn't commercially viable. You've already admitted that K14 was sometimes processed by hand at EK.

The chems will be tough, but anything worth having is worth working for.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 12-30-2010 at 10:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there a reason it uses rem jet backing instead of something similar to the 120 film backings?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be helpful for someone, PE if possible, can come up a modified E-6 formula, that can be used to process Kodachrome film.

What I mean modified E-6 formula, is to utilizing current available E-6 chemicals; If not, some formulas we can use to mix from raw chemicals. It does not need to be E-6; could be E-14 or any number of steps, as long as it works.

Even some suggestions on which step to use which chemicals to try out it would be useful and fun to experiment. I am not striving for color accuracy and it probably not possible without original Kodak chemicals. I just want to get some approximate color matches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rem-jet can be removed before the bleach/fix process when traditioinal anti-halation coatings are removed. The K14 process requires a re-exposure through the base during processing BEFORE it goes to the bleach fix process.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...als/z50_03.pdf

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bwfans View Post
    It would be helpful for someone, PE if possible, can come up a modified E-6 formula, that can be used to process Kodachrome film.

What I mean modified E-6 formula, is to utilizing current available E-6 chemicals; If not, some formulas we can use to mix from raw chemicals. It does not need to be E-6; could be E-14 or any number of steps, as long as it works.

Even some suggestions on which step to use which chemicals to try out it would be useful and fun to experiment. I am not striving for color accuracy and it probably not possible without original Kodak chemicals. I just want to get some approximate color matches.
    This is not possible as E-6 have the color dyes in the film already, and for Kodachrome the dyes are added during processing. Here is a technical explanation of the process from Kodak.

Regards,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the the kodak document. It has detailed steps and helpful. But it does not contain the formulas for each step. Have the K-14 formulas been published yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish they would, maybe PE can give the processing chemicals/dyes for K14. There is a guy in Europe that had done some reverse engineering and supposedly has been able to process at home. It is too bad Kodak did not just simply make all of the info public domain. I am not sure if there are trade secrets that have to do with current films or not.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kq6up View Post
    This is not possible as E-6 have the color dyes in the film already, and for Kodachrome the dyes are added during processing. Here is a technical explanation of the process from Kodak.

Regards,
    Chris Maness
    Thanks for the explanation about not to use E-6 chemicals.

It seems no one ever posted a replacement formula for K-14. Is it possible to come up a bunch of replacement formulas for K-14?

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin